Aerodrome (1)

Title Yeadon Aerodrome
Date 1929
Location Yeadon
Photo ID B182
Comment An official party viewing the proposed site for Yeadon airport (Leeds Bradford Airport). In the centre wearing their Mayoral chains and top hats are the Lord Mayors of Leeds and Bradford, Nathaniel George Morrison Lord Mayor of Leeds is on the left, the Lord Mayor of Bradford is either Angus Rhodes or Herbert Pullan.

Also present was Councillor Walmsley, Clerk to Yeadon Council, H Verity, Heaton Naylor and other Council representatives.
On the left are chauffeurs with the officials cars.
In 1931 the airport was opened under the name of Yeadon Aerodrome.
The reverse of the image is marked 1950, notes from an old diary of Alderman Joseph Wilkinson , 101 Iveson Drive Leeds 6 (now 16) referring to the airport he remarks:
“Occupies 266 acres and about £140,00 has been spent by the Corporations of Leeds and Bradford on it’s layout and equipment. It is at present requisitioned by the Air Ministry and leased to Lancashire Aircraft Corps”.

Aerodrome 1930s

E054 – Yeadon Aerodrome, 1930s.

Yeadon Aerodrome – 1930s

This was the original entrance to the airfield.
The bus is on Victoria Avenue (Harrogate Road).
Although altered this is still an entrance used by Multi-Flight for people having flying lessons or going on charter flights (September 2012).

Aerodrome Undated

E043 – Yeadon Aerodrome, Undated.

Yeadon Aerodrome – Undated

The only information noted for this image is that it was the “first Aeroplane”, presumably the first aircraft to land at the airport?

Aerodrome Undated

E044 – Yeadon Aerodrome, Undated.

Yeadon Aerodrome – Undated

Early photograph taken of an aircraft at Yeadon Aerodrome, now called Leeds Bradford International Airport

Aerodrome Undated

E045 – Yeadon Aerodrome, Undated.

Yeadon Aerodrome – Undated

A VIP visit to the aerodrome but who were the occupants of the car?

Aerodrome Plane Crash 1930s

N45 – Yeadon Aerodrome, 1930s.

Yeadon Aerodrome – 1930s

A Hawker Hind K8648, piloted by Flight Lieutenant John Dundas with Leading Aircraftman Hunter in the rear cockpit (RAF 609 Squadron), had engine failure on takeoff.
Flt. Lt. Dundas was unable to brake and crashed into the garden of a nearby house, the aircraft ended up nose down and tail up against the wall of the house.

This property was one of 3 pairs of semi-detached houses close to the airfield, following this incident they were compulsorily purchased and demolished.
In this view an official is surveying the wrecked aircraft.

John Dundas and his brother Hugh became fighter pilots during the Battle of Britain, John died after being shot down over the English Channel on August 22nd 1940.

Aerodrome Prince Albert Visit 1932

R104A – Yeadon Aerodrome, 1932.

Yeadon Aerodrome – 1932

Prince Albert, later King George VI came to visit Yeadon Aerodrome in 1932.
The Yorkshire Flying Club’s Chief Instructor Capt. H V Worrall took Him for a flight. This was the plane used.

Aerodrome 1931/32

R134 – Yeadon Aerodrome, 1931/32.

Yeadon Aerodrome – 1931/32

Harrogate Road runs diagonally across the image, fields to the right of the road became the site of the A V Roe factory.
The 3 pairs of semi-detached houses at an angle to the road (planes behind them) became the headquarters of the Yorkshire Flying Club, the clubhouse was a flat roofed extension which is just visible to the right of the houses.

R135A – Yeadon Aerodrome, 1932.

Yeadon Aerodrome – 1932

The image shows a hangar for planes belonging to the Yorkshire Flying Club, one of the founder members of the National Flying Services.
On the opposite side of Harrogate Road is a petrol station.

In the bottom left corner is the roof of one of the houses in which the Flying Club was based.

R135B – Yeadon Aerodrome, 1932.

Yeadon Aerodrome – 1932

As above.



V44 – Yeadon Aerodrome, 1932.

Yeadon Aerodrome – 1932

This aircraft at Yeadon Aerodrome (now LBIA) was number G AAPJ, a DH.60X Gipsy Moth.
It was first owned by the National Flying School at Hansworth, then the London Air Park Flying Club Ltd, next R H Henderson/ Hansworth.
It crashed on take-off at Chilworth near Guildford, Surrey on August 16th 1936.



R136A – Yeadon Aerodrome, 1937/8.

Yeadon Aerodrome – 1937/8

The RAF camp in the late 1930s, 609 Squadron were based here before they were relocated to RAF Catterick.



Aerodrome 1937/38

R136B – Yeadon Aerodrome, 1937/8.

Yeadon Aerodrome – 1937/38

Shows the Terminal Building, the booking area and offices were in a tent located behind and to the right of the Terminal Building.
The ground floor of the Terminal Building was used as a waiting room.



Aerodrome Empire Day 1938

E039 – Yeadon Aerodrome, 1938.

Yeadon Aerodrome, Empire Day – 1938

Leeds and Bradford Councils Jointly purchased 60 acres of land on Yeadon Moor for use as an airport.

It was formally opened on October 17th 1931 by Mr H Jenning of Yeadon UDC, initially it was used for training and flying lessons given by the Yorkshire Aeroplane Club who had moved to Yeadon from their base at Sherburn-In-Elmet, the Club’s chief instructor was Captain Henry Vernon Worrall.

In May 1938 the first RAF sponsored show was held, the aircraft on display were Hawker Hinds of no. 609 (West Riding) Squadron.

A Fairey Battle K7629 also took part.

Seen here in front of an aircraft is, on the left, Mrs Croft with Mrs Emsley and Michael Emsley on the right.

Aerodrome Empire Day 1938

M951 – Yeadon Aerodrome, 1938.

Yeadon Aerodrome, Empire Day – 1938

Crowds enjoy Empire Day at Yeadon Aerodrome which later became Leeds and Bradford Airport.

On display are Hawker Hinds of 609 (West Riding) Squadron.

Courtesy of Ken Cothliff from his book, Yeadon Above and Beyond.

Aerodrome Empire Day 1938

C069 – Yeadon Aerodrome, 1938.

Yeadon Aerodrome, Empire Day – 1938

The airplanes were Hawker Hinds, designed by Sir Sydney Camm they were a standard light bomber.

They were in use in Britain between 1935-1939.

In this view the the Auxiliary Air Force 609 West Riding Squadron were preparing to fly the planes to Kent and back.

The 609 Squadron was formed in Yeadon in 1936 to fly bombers then converted to fly fighter planes in 1938.

In 1939 they were mobilized with 2 Spitfires and a Fairy Battle due to aircraft shortages.

They were the first Spitfire Squadron to achieve 100 air-to-air “kills” and pioneered use of the Hawker Typhoon until 1945. Now stationed at and known as 609 West Riding Squadron Royal Auxiliary Air Force.

Aerodrome Empire Day 1938

E053 – Yeadon Aerodrome, 1938.

Yeadon Aerodrome, Empire Day – 1938

Crowds of people making their way into the aerodrome for the first air show which was sponsored by the RAF.
It was possible for the public to have a flight in a plane that day.

Aerodrome Pre 1939

C326 – Yeadon Aerodrome, Pre 1939.

Yeadon Aerodrome – Pre 1939

Aircraft outside the hangar at the Aerodrome.

Donated by Michael Clements.

Aerodrome 1938/39

E041 – Yeadon Aerodrome, 1938/39.

Yeadon Aerodrome – 1938/39

Possibly taken at the Empire Air Day, there are many spectators watching an aircraft.
There were Empire Air Days in May 1938 and May 1939 before the airport became a military installation at the outbreak of war              on 1st September 1939.

Aerodrome 1938/39

E042 – Yeadon Aerodrome, 1938/39.

Yeadon Aerodrome – 1938/39

Crowds of people are admiring the aircraft.
The roof on the left was one of 3 pairs of semi-detached houses in a cul-de-sac off Victoria Avenue (Harrogate Road), this was the entrance to the airfield and the Yorkshire Aeroplane Club (now the entrance to Multi-flight flight training and aircraft charter September 2012). The pair of semis nearest to the airfield was used as a club house by the Aeroplane Club, the upper storey being the home of the Club’s chief instructor Captain H V Worrall and his family.

Previous Comments:

Re R104A
Ken Cothliffe.
VIP is Prince Albert (later King George VI) who is known to have visited the club. H.V. Worral took him up in DH 60 Moth G-AAPJ – date 1932 after airport had been officially opened.

Page 1 of 2 More >>

Consolidated by Elaine Ellwood. 01 September 2021.
Last updated: 05 November 2021 – Photo ID: R136B. 27 September 2021 – Photo IDs: N902 & R481.

Leave a comment