Aireborough Fire Brigades & Joint Service (1)

Guiseley Fire Brigade c1890s
Title Fire Brigade
Date c1890s
Location Guiseley
Photo ID A438
Comment Nine uniformed members of Guiseley Fire Brigade with a horse drawn fire engine.
Guiseley Fire Brigade 1910

I429 – Guiseley Fire Brigade, 1910.

Guiseley Fire Brigade – 1910

Men of the fire brigade posing at the station, behind them is a young recruit.

Guiseley Fire Brigade 1910

I340 – Guiseley Fire Brigade, 1910.

Guiseley Fire Brigade – 1910

Guiseley Fire Brigade seen outside Guiseley station.

Guiseley Fire Brigade 1910

K326 – Guiseley Fire Brigade, 1910.

Guiseley Fire Brigade – 1910

Guiseley firemen on a horse-drawn appliance taking part in Guiseley Carnival, they are outside St. Oswald’s Church.

Yeadon Fire Brigade 1911

N03 – Yeadon Fire Brigade, 1911.

Yeadon Fire Brigade – 1911

In an area dominated by mills containing large amounts of combustible materials, the need for a more professional fire service was recognised by Yeadon Council.
Mill fires occurred often and each mill owner made rudimentary provision to deal with fires but on occasion this was not sufficient.

In 1911 Yeadon Council appointed the Council Surveyor as Superintendent of the Fire Brigade and paid for uniforms and equipment for 7 men.
The equipment was stored in a wooden shed near the Town Hall.
The Brigade Captain was a Mr Parkinson, seen here on the left.
Harry Naylor became Captain in 1913, the men were paid 2/- per month plus 1/- for each drill.

Jack Pullan Waite was in charge by 1919 when the retaining fees had risen to 2/6d per man for cleaning and practice meetings, 3/6d  for the first hour when attending a fire then 2/6d for subsequent hours with a retaining fee of £2 a year for an officer, £1 a year for men.
The fire cart in this photo is drawn by a horse, items of pumping equipment are fixed to each end of the cart.      It was 1925 before a fire station was built on New Road Side by the joint Councils of Horsforth, Yeadon Guiseley and Rawdon.

Yeadon Fire Brigade 1911

FF080 – Yeadon Fire Brigade, 1911.

Yeadon Fire Brigade – 1911

Pictured with their cart, hoses and equipment are the 11 men who belonged to the fledgling fire service.

Yeadon Fire Brigade 1911

L364 – Yeadon Fire Brigade, 1911.

Yeadon Fire Brigade – 1911

Firemen with their cart which is loaded with hoses, pumps and ladders.

Fire Brigade Joint Service 1925

AA91 – Fire Brigade, Joint Service, 1925.

Fire Brigade – Joint Service – 1925

The Fire Station on New Road in 1925, when it was built. It is actually on the Yeadon side of the boundary but always referred to as Rawdon Fire Station.

Fire Brigade Joint Service 1925

K357 – Fire Brigade, Joint Service, 1925.

Fire Brigade – Joint Service – 1925

The Fire Station opened in August 1925, to serve the communities of Horsforth, Yeadon, Rawdon and Guiseley and in 1948, it became part of the West Riding County Council Fire Service.

Fire Brigade Joint Service 1925

K351 – Fire Brigade, Joint Service, 1925.

Fire Brigade – Joint Service – 1925

Firefighters pose on an engine, Inspector James A Dockray stands in front. He was appointed in 1925, Inspector of the new joint service for Horsforth, Yeadon, Rawdon and Guiseley. His salary was £300 per annum and a house provided.

Inspector A E Fawcett 1925/35

K355 – Fire Brigade, Joint Service, 1925/35.

Fire Brigade – Joint Service – 1925/35

Inspector A E Fawcett in uniform, Rawdon.

To view medals awarded to Inspector Fawcett, please – Click Here.

Fire Brigade Joint Service 1926

K369 – Fire Brigade, Joint Service, 1926.

Fire Brigade – Joint Service – 1926

The newly formed Joint Fire Brigade of Horsforth, Yeadon, Rawdon and Guiseley, fire fighter pose in front of an appliance.

Yeadon Aerodrome Fire Brigade c1935

B476 – Fire Brigade, Joint Service, c1935.

Yeadon Aerodrome Fire Brigade – Joint Service – c1935

Vehicles used by the Fire Brigade, Laurie Clements, grandfather of the donor of this image, was one of the firemen at this time.

Yeadon Aerodrome Fire Brigade c1935

C237 – Fire Brigade, Joint Service, c1935.

Fire Brigade – Joint Service – c1935

In the centre of this group of firemen is Laurie Clements, his grandson Michael Clements donated the image.

Yeadon Aerodrome Fire Brigade c1935

FBA317 – Fire Brigade, Joint Service, c1935.

Yeadon Aerodrome Fire Brigade – Joint Service – c1935

The man 3rd from the left is Laurie Clements of Coppice Wood Grove, Guiseley.
He married an Italian lady, this formed a link with the family of Carlo Harrison who’s father married an Italian woman, the two families were friends. Laurie had a son, Frank, his son Michael is the donor of the image.


AVRO Fire Brigade Undated

H317 – Fire Brigade, Joint Service, Undated.

AVRO Fire Brigade – Joint Service – Undated

Donated by Eddie Jenkinson, his Dad Lawrence was a member of the service.

Page 1 of 2 More >>

Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 31 January 2021.
Last updated: 05 June 2022 – Photo ID: K355. 23 October 2021 – Photo ID: K343. 27 September 2021 – Photo ID: FB432. 18 May 2021 – Photo ID: I454 & K411.

Leave a comment