Albert Mill 1851 – 1971

Albert Mill 1971
Title Albert Mill
Date 1971
Location Yeadon
Photo ID A195
Comment Albert Mill was situated at the junction of Albert Square and the High Street. It was built in 1851 by Baldwin, Brown & Co for the manufacture of woollens. During the Second World War it was used as a military store. When the mill was demolished shops and the old Lecture Hall which had been adjacent to the mill on the High Street were also pulled down. New shops were erected partly on the mill site, also bungalows for the elderly. In this view the mill is undergoing demolition, a group of wooden market stalls are stacked against the wall.
Albert Mill 1971

A197 – Albert Mill, 1971.

Albert Mill – 1971

Albert Mill 1971

E265 – Albert Mill, 1971.

Albert Mill – 1971

Albert Mill 1971

A196 – Albert Mill, 1971.

Albert Mill – 1971

Albert Mill 1971

Albert Mill – 1971/2015

The earlier image shows Albert Mill when demolition had begun, the mill was built in 1851, by Baldwin Brown & Co.

The old layout of Albert Square changed, no longer a square but the name was retained, a roundabout is on the left and several bungalows for the elderly were built on the site in 2015.

Photographer Edwy Harling.

N369 – Albert Mill, 1971/2015.

Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 08 November 2021.
Last updated: 08 November 2021.

Leave a comment