Baptist Chapel 1712 – 1972 (2)

Baptist Chapel 1892
Title Baptist Chapel 1712 – 1972 (2)
Date 1892
Location Rawdon
Photo ID T01
Comment A Sundial on the site of the 2nd Baptist Chapel on Micklefield lane.
Baptist Chapel 1892

T02 – Baptist Chapel, 1892.

Baptist Chapel Micklefield Lane – 1892

A second Sundial on the site of the 2nd Baptist Chapel on Micklefield Lane, with the message:

“This dial stands on the site of the pulpit of the old the old Cragg Chapel which was taken down and the new school and chapel adjoining erected during the ministry of the Rev. A P Fayers” “The Lord Hath Done Great Things For us, Whereof We Are Glad AD 1902”

Baptist Chapel 1892

N399 – Baptist Chapel, 1892.

Baptist Chapel Micklefield Lane – 1892

The upper image on the right is of the 2nd Baptist Chapel on Micklefield Lane which was demolished and the chapel seen at the bottom was built on the site in 1892.

Baptist Chapel 1892

T16 – Baptist Chapel, 1892.

Baptist Chapel Micklefield Lane – 1892

Children who attend the chapel accompanied by adults posing for a photograph. This was at Whitsuntide.

Baptist Chapel Entrance Gates 1892

D154 – Baptist Chapel, 1892.

Baptist Chapel Micklefield Lane – 1892

The gateway to the 3rd Baptist Chapel built on Micklefield Lane, close to the 2nd chapel.

The third Baptist Chapel to be built was also on Micklefield Lane, close to the second chapel.
It was used for 80 years, being built in 1892 and closing in 1972.
It was demolished in 1992 but this gateway remains (September 2012).

Baptist Chapel 1892

N396 – Baptist Chapel, 1892.

Baptist Chapel Micklefield Lane – 1892

This was the 3rd Baptist Chapel to be built in Rawdon. The 1st was built in Cragg Wood circa 1712 and known as Cragg Baptist Chapel.

A larger chapel was needed and the stone from Cragg Chapel was used to build a 2nd chapel on Micklefield Lane in 1765, this was called Buckstone Chapel.

In turn this was demolished and the chapel seen here was erected on the same site in 1892, the adjoining school room and assembly rooms were added two years later in 1894.

A sundial (in front of a tree in the middle of the view) occupies the site of the pulpit from the 2nd chapel.
By the 1970s the congregations of this and other local non-conformists churches had dwindled the Baptists, Congregationalists and Methodist combined and the former Benton Park Congregational Church became Trinity Church.

The last Baptist Chapel was demolished, leaving the sundial as a memorial.

Baptist Chapel Undated

T06 – Baptist Chapel, Undated.

Baptist Chapel Organ – Undated

The organ in the 3rd Baptist Chapel on Micklefield Lane and an unknown man. Perhaps the organist!

Baptist Chapel Undated

T15 – Baptist Chapel, Undated.

Baptist Chapel Micklefield Lane – Undated

An undated photograph of an amateur dramatic group from the chapel performing in a play ‘The Golden Wedding’.

Baptist Chapel 1900

T14 – Baptist Chapel, Micklefield Lane, 1900.

Baptist Chapel Micklefield Lane – 1900

A large gathering outside the chapel doors.

Baptist Chapel 1912

T20 – Baptist Chapel, Micklefield Lane, 1912.

Baptist Chapel Micklefield Lane – 1912

Rededication of the old Chapel and burial ground on the 200th anniversary of it’s being built in 1712. Even in those Edwardian summers it rained!

Baptist Chapel 1912

E073 – Baptist Chapel, Micklefield Lane, 1912.

Baptist Chapel Micklefield Lane – 1900

An open air service on the site of the 1st Baptist Chapel to be built in Rawdon. Land for the chapel and burial ground had been purchased in 1712. In 1912, 200 years later the walls of the chapel were rebuilt, the site restored and rededicated at the expense of 2 prominent Baptists, Sir John Horsfall of Skipton and Sir George MacAlpine of Accrington.

This is the rededication ceremony and service, people are standing on the old burial ground, the chapel is on the right.

In the background are old greenhouses which have been replaced by Mansell and Hatcher orchid nurseries. Little trace can now be found of the chapel or the burial ground.

The Google Earth map reference is: 53.845350 – 1.689880

Baptist Chapel 1915

T08 – Baptist Chapel, Micklefield Lane, 1915.

Baptist Chapel Micklefield Lane – 1915

These men were elders of Deacons of the chapel.

Baptist Chapel 1916

E080 – Baptist Chapel, Micklefield Lane, 1916.

Baptist Chapel Micklefield Lane – 1916

Interior view of the Baptist Chapel showing the organ and the pulpit.

Baptist Chapel 1916

T13 – Baptist Chapel, Micklefield Lane, 1916.

Baptist Chapel Micklefield Lane – 1916

A group of men and women outside the chapel, the man in the centre of the front row was the Pastor.

Baptist Chapel Undated

R069 – Baptist Chapel, Micklefield Lane, Undated.

Baptist Chapel Micklefield Lane – Undated

A large group of the congregation outside the chapel.

<< Page 1 Page 3 >>

Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 29 January 2021.
Last updated: 03 April 2021.

Leave a comment