Bowling Clubs

Kirk Lane Bowling Club 1907
Title Kirk Lane Park Bowling Club
Date 13th July 1907
Location Yeadon
Photo ID B384
Comment How smart do they all look!

This was a ceremonial game of bowls to mark the opening of the park (also known as Yeadon Park) after it had been presented to the people of Yeadon by local mill owner and philanthropist Jonathan Peate.
In the background crowds of people are watching the proceedings, the men in the foreground are, from left to right:
1: Albert Myers, butcher, 2: Councillor Alfred Chippindale, 3: Councillor Herbert Lockwood, Trade Union Secretary 4? 5: Councillor Albert Jenkinson, 6? 7: Tom Vickers, butcher, 8: George Herbert Teale, Chairman of Yeadon Council, 9:Herman Walmsley
10: Joe Preston, 11: Robert Howard, father of actor and comedian Sydney Howard, 12? 13: Noah Houlden, surveyor for Yeadon Council, 14? Jonathan Peate is the man kneeling to bowl.
The park still has an active bowling team.

Kirk Lane Bowling Club Undated

B321 – Kirk Lane Park Bowling Club, Undated.

Kirk Lane Park Bowling Club – Undated

A team of bowlers with their trophy, the venue is Kirk lane Park, also known as Yeadon Park.

Kirk Lane Bowling Club 1910

R068 – Kirk Lane Park Bowling Club, 1910.

Kirk Lane Park Bowling Club – 1910

Bowling team with the Jonathan Peate Trophy.

Kirk Lane Bowling Club c1910

B267 – Kirk Lane Park Bowling Club, c1910.

Kirk Lane Park Bowling Club – c1910

A game of bowls is in progress, the players were T Marshall, Noah Houlden, George Herbert Teale (crouching) and the identity of the man in the flat cap is unknown. Nunroyd House is in the background, home of Jonathan Peate who donated the land for this park.

Bowling Team Yeadon Cricket Club c1910

A495 – Bowling Team Yeadon Cricket Club, c1910.

Bowling Team Yeadon Cricket Club – c1910

Yeadon Cricket Club Bowling Team, all wearing either boaters or flat caps.
This photo was taken on the edge of the cricket pitch behind the White Swan public house.
Houses on Yeadon High Street can be seen behind the wall.

Rufford Park Bowling Club c 1910

FB237 – Rufford Park Bowling Club, c1910.

Rufford Park Bowling Club – c1910

This must have been a special Ladies Day as initially only men were allowed to join.
In the background on the left are houses on South View Terrace, directly behind the bowling green are houses on Rufford Crescent.

Rufford Park Bowling Club c 1910

D084 – Rufford Park Bowling Club, c1910.

Rufford Park Bowling Club – c1910

This was the original clubhouse, it has since been replaced.

Kirk Lane Bowling Club Undated

B300 – Kirk Lane Park Bowling Club, Undated.

Kirk Lane Park Bowling Club – Undated

They appear to have won a trophy on this occasion.

Rufford Park Bowling Club 19224-1933

B323 – Rufford Park Bowling Club, 1924/1933.

Rufford Park Bowling Club – 1924/1933

Rufford Park is a private bowling green and club situated off Rufford Crescent.
A group of members are pictured with a cup.

Rufford Park Bowling Club 19224-1933

D262 – Rufford Park Bowling Club, 1924/1933.

Rufford Park Bowling Club – 1924/1933

Members of the bowling club.

Rufford Park Bowling Club 19224-1933

D263 – Rufford Park Bowling Club, 1924/1933.

Rufford Park Bowling Club – 1924/1933

Members of the bowling club.

Rufford Park Bowling Club 19224-1933

D264 – Rufford Park Bowling Club, 1924/1933.

Rufford Park Bowling Club – 1924/1933

An individual winner with his trophy, this is possibly a Mr Hepworth.

Rufford Park Bowling Club 1930s/40s

B395 – Rufford Park Bowling Club, c1930s/40s.

Rufford Park Bowling Club – 1930s/1940s

Rufford Park Bowling Club is entered from Rufford Crescent, it was established Circa 1910.
Only professional men were allowed to join, ladies were not even allowed into the club house unless signed in by a member except for a “Ladies Day” once a year.
It was not until 1992 that women were accepted as members, the first lady member was Mrs Carol Wright.
She formed the first ladies bowling team in 1993 since then they have been very successful.

Editors Note: It will be noted that the image appears to be dated 1869, however, the stamps on the reverse of this postcard date from the 1930s/40s. JB: 10 Feb 22.

Rufford Park Bowling Club 1930s/40s

B395Rev – Rufford Park Bowling Club, c1930s/40s.

Rufford Park Bowling Club – 1930s/1940s

A message on the reverse reads:
“Dear Mrs Whitaker Thank you for your card and we are so pleased that you like Folkeston and hope the weather is fine. ? and ? have had a very nice time in Scotland and come back next Sunday to fetch the children. We are missing them very much and it is very quiet without the little folk. Wishing you all another enjoyable week with kind regards from all of us, Maude Wilson”

Sent to Mrs T Whitaker staying in Folkeston.

Rufford Park Bowling Club 1960

FB374 – Rufford Park Bowling Club, 1960.

Rufford Park Bowling Club – 1960

Winners of the Wheatley Trophy, the game was played on a neutral green at Ilkley against Horsforth Conservative Club.

Image Donated by Pam Waite.

Rufford Park Bowling Club c1970s

FB445 – Rufford Park Bowling Club, c1970s.

Rufford Park Bowling Club – c1970s

Bowling Club members in fancy dress for a social occasion.

Rufford Park Bowling Club c1970s

FB446 – Rufford Park Bowling Club, c1970s.

Rufford Park Bowling Club – c1970s

On the left is David Kirkbright, his wife Debbie is beside him.
The girl wearing the scarf in the centre is Pam Robinson.

Rufford Park Bowling Club c1970s

FB447 – Rufford Park Bowling Club, c1970s.

Rufford Park Bowling Club – c1970s

On the left is Debbie Kirkbright, the other girl is Pam Robinson.

Rufford Park Bowling Club c1970s

FB448 – Rufford Park Bowling Club, c1970s.

Rufford Park Bowling Club – c1970s

Bowling Club member David Kirkbright is on the left, moving right are Debbie Kirkbright, Pam Robinson and Graham Robinson.

Rufford Park Bowling Club c1970s

FB235 – Rufford Park Bowling Club, c1970s.

Rufford Park Bowling Club – c1970s

A large group of members outside the clubhouse.
The man on the left was Bill Schofield, in the middle of the back row (dark hair and mustache) is David Kirkbright.
4th from the right in the 3rd row is Sylvia Teale (pale jacket), on the 2nd row 4th from the left is Joyce Schofield, next but one to her is Margaret Birdsall.

Identified by Gill Blair:
2nd Row 3rd from right Louie Sandbrook. Back Row 7th from left Harry Lawrence. Front Row 3rd from left Mr. Birdsall.

Rufford Park Bowling Club c1970s

FB236 – Rufford Park Bowling Club, c1970s.

Rufford Park Bowling Club – c1970s

On the back row, left to right: ? Ronnie Witham, Clifford Teale, John ? Bill Schofield.
Front row left to right : Len Fletcher, Eric Harrison, Alf Nelson, Derek Benson.

Tarnfield Bowling Club 2014

N408 – Tarnfield Bowling Club, 2014.

Tarnfield Bowling Club – 2014

Tarnfield Bowling Club, Yeadon.

Photographer Edwy Harling.

Tarnfield Bowling Club 2014

N409 – Tarnfield Bowling Club, 2014.

Tarnfield Bowling Club – 2014

Previous Comments:

HelenStubbs
The gentleman on the front row – 2nd front left on the left, is my Great grandfather, Robert Herd. Born in Scotland, he & his wife, Helen, moved to Bradford & then Rufford Park in 1901. Their son Alexander Forbes Herd (my Grandfather) was born in 1902. They also had a daughter, Jennie Herd (Later Myers when married ) who sadly died in 1933.
16 April 2013.

Re FB446
jdathebowler
The older couple are George and Marjorie Kirkbright, David’s mother and father.
21 December 2013.

ReFB236
jdathebowler
The bowlers in the bottom photo left to right: Gordon Calquhoun, Ronnie Witham, Clifford Teale, John Brennan, and Bill Schofield.
Front row left to right: Len Fletcher, Eric Harrison, Alf Nelson (Capt), Derek Benson, and Willy Hardwick.
John Arundel
28 October 2013.

Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 23 October 2021.
Last updated: 10 February 2022 – Photo ID: B395, B395Rev, FB237, D084, A495, N408 & N409.

Leave a comment