Chapel Hill

Chapel Hill 2013
Title Chapel Hill
Date 2013
Location Yeadon
Photo ID JA007
Comment This is one of the few old roads to remain in Yeadon, as the name suggests it was the route to the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel which was demolished in 1958 and replaced by the present Methodist Church seen on the left. This building was part of the old chapel schoolroom. The building with the signs on the wall is the Constitutional Club, it was built in 1824 to serve as a school primarily for the education of Methodist children and known as the New School, soon it was taking children regardless of religious inclination. When South View School opened in 1884 pupils were moved there, the premises were purchased by Jonathan Peate in 1909 and became the “Con” Club. Photographer John D Arundel.
Chapel Hill 2015

T476 – Chapel Hill, 2015.

Chapel Hill – 2015

The left the end wall of the Methodist Chapel.

Donated by Phil Walker.

Chaepl Hill 2015

T475 – Chapel Hill, 2015.

Chapel Hill – 2015

In the centre is the exit from the chapel car park, to the right is the Constitutional Club.

Donated by Phil Walker.

Chapel Hill 2015

T477 – Chapel Hill, 2015.

Chapel Hill – 2015

Looking across Chapel Hill to the Constitutional Club.

Donated by Phil Walker.

Chapel Hill 2015

T478 – Chapel Hill, 2015.

Chapel Hill – 2015

Chapel Hill 2015

T479 – Chapel Hill, 2015.

Chapel Hill – 2015

Previous Comments:

Re JA007
Aliiechat
I live at number 4 Chapel Hill (on the left) and have been trying to look into the history of this building but can’t find anything. Can anyone help please?
Alison
14 November 2018.

edwy
Hi Alison. We can’t find any further info on Chapel Hill. Edwy.
19 November 2018.

Re T478
jean dean
In 1824 this was a school for boys, it was pre South View and closed when the new school opened. Originally this was called School Hill.
29 August 2018.

Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 29 July 2021.
Last updated: 29 July 2021.

Leave a comment