Chas. F HY Yates & Sons – 1980s

Chas. F H Yates & Sons 1980s

Title Chas. F H Yates & Sons
Date 1980s
Location Guiseley
Photo ID L24
Comment Situated on Otley Road, offices of Yates Auctioneers, Valuers and Estate Agents. Part of the building was occupied by the Leeds and Holbeck Building Society. A noticeboard on the pavement gives details of the next auction sale. Sales were held in the hut on the right, this was demolished in October 1987 and the office building was extended. It is now a carpet warehouse (December 2012)
Chas. F H Yates & Sons 1980s

L23 – Chas. F H Yates & Sons, 1980s.

Chas. F H Yates & Sons – 1980s

Premises were on Otley Road, Charlie Yates ran a furniture auction house on the site.
The hut was bought by Mr Downs auctioneer, it was brought from Catterick by rail and erected on land owned by him.
He bought several huts and sold them round the area, one went to Moon’s Mill where it was used as a canteen.
Prior to Yates having the business Mr Downs used the hut as a market sometimes selling a variety of goods including biscuits, fruit and vegetables.

Chas. F H Yates & Sons 1980s

L28 – Chas. F H Yates & Sons, 1980s.

Chas. F H Yates & Sons – 1980s

Inside Yates auction room furniture is on display.

Chas. F H Yates & Sons 1980s

L30 – Chas. F H Yates & Sons, 1980s.

Chas. F H Yates & Sons – 1980s

Bedroom furniture on offer in the sale room.

Chas. F H Yates & Sons 1980s

L31 – Chas. F H Yates & Sons, 1980s.

Chas. F H Yates & Sons – 1980s

A variety of items which were to be auctioned off.
In October 1987, this building was demolished, a carpet warehouse is now on the site (December 2012).

Previous Comments:

Carlton
The property was purchased in 1929, by Mr Charles E H Yates and operated as Chas. E H Yates & Son from 1959 until 1990, when Mr F J Yates retired. The business included an estate agency, insurance brokerage, auction business and building society agency but was always best known for the weekly auctions of furniture and general household effects.
The building which replaced the old wooden hut was constructed in 1988 by Thompson and Walker, a local building firm. During the construction work, the auctions were held in the adjacent building known as Parkside Warehouse which had been a garage and car repair workshop.
16 January 2014.

Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 06 May 2022.
Last updated: 09 May 2022.

Leave a comment