Dam (2)

Yeadon Dam Undated
Title Yeadon Dam
Date Undated
Location Yeadon
Photo ID K581
Comment Skating on Yeadon Dam.
Yeadon Dam Undated

A042 – Yeadon Dam, Undated.

Yeadon Dam – Undated

The front of this photo is marked “Matthews Bradford” 7880 “Holiday time at Yeadon”.

This view looks across to Dam Lane, the shelter towards the left was one of several dotted round the lake, the only structure remaining is on the Cemetery Road side now used by model boat enthusiasts as a headquarters.

Several cars are parked behind the shelter, in this era the cost of parking a car here was a shilling, a large amount but presumably car owners were able to pay it.

Children are paddling in the water (not allowed now!), a rowing boat is alongside the jetty with an attendant holding out a pole. At the end of the jetty two boys in bathing costumes are fishing.

Donated by Howard Chadwick.

Yeadon Dam Undated

G062 – Yeadon Dam – Undated.

Yeadon Dam – Undated

View of the Dam, always popular at holiday times. A rope dividing the water into sections can be seen, rowing boats in the upper section and paddle boats for children in the lower.

Donated by Howard Chadwick.

Yeadon Dam Undated

G074 – Yeadon Dam, Undated.

Yeadon Dam – Undated

A busy scene at the Dam, children are out on the water in paddle boats, a demarcation rope separates this area from that used by the rowing boats.
People are walking along the jetty, in front are two ladies pushing an elderly person in a wheelchair.

Donated by Howard Chadwick.

Yeadon Dam Undated

FB397 – Yeadon Dam, Undated.

Yeadon Dam – Undated

This is a postcard image of the Tarn, people are enjoying a stroll or sitting in the sun.

Donated by Howard Chadwick.

Yeadon Dam Undated

C281 – Yeadon Dam, Undated.

Yeadon Dam – Undated

The promenade walk way which is situated at the southern end of the lake. It was built in 1929 at the same time as the children’s playground was developed.

Donated by Howard Chadwick.

Yeadon Dam Undated

D081 – Yeadon Dam, Undated.

Yeadon Dam – Undated

The Dam was a popular place to visit at holiday times, here we see children playing in the water and every bench fully occupied. Teas were served from the building next to the path.

Donated by Howard Chadwick.

Yeadon Dam 1933

FB178 – Yeadon Dam, 1933.

Yeadon Dam – 1933

This image is titled “Yeadon’s Arena of Ice”-“Skating On The Dam January 1933”

This is Yeadon Dam in its original format without the large stones placed by the council in later years to protect the banking from erosion. Many people can be seen skating on this cold January day and cars can be seen bottom left and just in front of “Froggy Island”
Notice that “Froggy Island” really is an island at the bottom end of the image and, missing from the middle of the dam is the island we are all familiar with today.
The dozen or so Mill chimneys that are in view seem to be contributing to the smoke and foggy atmosphere that appears to be hanging over the town.

Donated by Dennis Court.

Yeadon Dam 1938

A293 – Yeadon Dam, 1938.

Yeadon Dam – 1938

Yachts sailing on Yeadon Dam (Tarn), Yeadon Sailing Club began in 1928 and is still in existence. The rocks in the foreground were placed round the edge of the Dam to prevent erosion.

Yeadon Dam Undated

B421 – Yeadon Dam, Undated.

Yeadon Dam – Undated

The children’s playground at the Dam, now called Tarnfield Park (August 2012), 5 men and a dog are sitting on the slide.

Yeadon Dam Undated

FBA342 – Yeadon Dam, Undated.

Yeadon Dam – Undated

View of the Dam looking in the direction of the Coney Park Plantation and Novia Wood.

Yeadon Dam Undated

D082 – Yeadon Dam, Undated.

Yeadon Dam – Undated

People are queuing to go on the rowing boats, the boatman has a pole ready to pull in the boat which has been out on the water.
The houses in view were off Dam Lane.

Yeadon Dam Undated

G071 – Yeadon Dam, Undated.

Yeadon Dam – Undated

Rowing boats on the Dam, the shed would have been the pay box for those wishing to use a boat. The structure on the left was used to serve teas. It was one of several round the lake, the only one which remains is now the headquarters of the Leeds and Bradford Model Boat Club.

Yeadon Dam Undated

R148 – Yeadon Dam, Undated.

Yeadon Dam – Undated

The promenade at the Dam, looking over to Cemetery Road. On the left is part of what was Union or Waterside Mill, now called Ingots Building and business of Headrow Housing Trust. On the right the small building is headquarters of the Leeds and Brdaford Model Boat Club.

Yeadon Dam Undated

C256 – Yeadon Dam, Undated.

Yeadon Dam – Undated

Sail boats are moored at the edge of the Dam, lupins are flowering on the banks and children are playing in the water.

<< Page 1 Page 3 >>

Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 15 July 2021.
Last updated: 15 July 2021.

Leave a comment