Friends (Quakers) Meeting House (1)

Friends Quakers
Title Friends (Quakers) Meeting House (1)
Date 1697
Location Rawdon
Photo ID A429
Comment The Friends (Quaker) Meeting House and burial ground are located on Quaker Lane. In keeping with their religious beliefs it is a plain, simple stone building.

The Friends (of the Light) or Quaker movement was formed in the 1600s by George Fox, dissenting from the established doctrine of Christianity but remaining Christians, as such they were often Persecuted.

The Meeting House was built in 1697. It was extended by a few yards in 1729 and in 1850 when additions were made to the back of the building.

A Burial Ground had been established at Dibb House Farm, Dibb Lane, Guiseley, most of this was lost when the railway line to Yeadon was laid in 1860. A memorial stone is on site in what is now William Machell’s Wood Yard. Two gravestones were moved to the present burial site next to the Meeting House on Quaker Lane, they belonged to Nathan Overend and Joshua Overend (1660 – 1696).

In 1989, £33,000 was spent to repair the ravages of woodworm and rot. It reopened in 1919 and is still used for worship. (February 2013)

Friends Quakers

A435 – Friends (Quakers) Meeting House, Undated.

Friends (Quakers) Meeting House – Undated

A view of the Meeting House and garden area.

Friends Quakers

W274 – Friends (Quakers) Meeting House, Undated.

Friends (Quakers) Meeting House – Undated

A group of friends (Quakers) posing outside the Meeting House.

Friends Quakers

FF126 – Friends (Quakers) Meeting House, Undated.

Friends (Quakers) Meeting House – Undated

A view of the Meeting House on Quaker Lane.

Friends Quakers

R191 – Friends (Quakers) Meeting House, Undated.

Friends (Quakers) Meeting House – Undated

A view from a different angle.

Friends Quakers

A315 – Friends (Quakers) Meeting House, Undated.

Friends (Quakers) Meeting House – Undated

A view from a different angle showing some gravestones.

Friends Quakers

A317 – Friends (Quakers) Meeting House, Undated.

Friends (Quakers) Meeting House – Undated

Another view of the Meeting House.

Friends Quakers

P206 – Friends (Quakers) Meeting House, Undated.

Friends (Quakers) Meeting House – Undated

Early 1900s – Quakers or Friends outside the Meeting House on Quaker Lane, the entrance is marked with the date 1697. 

Friends Quakers Burial Ground 1932

A316 – Friends (Quakers) Meeting House, 1932.

Friends (Quakers) Meeting House, Burial Ground – 1932

A Gravestone moved from Dibb House Farm Burial Ground, Dibb Lane, Guiseley, to Friends Burial Ground, Quaker Lane.
The inscription on the stone partly reads: ‘1669 These stones were moved from Dibb House by permission of L.M.E. RLY (railway) Co 12.1.1932

Friends Quakers Burial Ground 1932

M159 – Friends (Quakers) Meeting House, 1932.

 Friends (Quakers) Meeting House, Burial Ground – 1932

Two tombstones dedicated to the Overend family of Guiseley were removed from the former burial ground on Dibb Lane. This one was dedicated to Joshua Overend who died aged 16 in 1696.

Friends Quakers 1989

M152 – Friends (Quakers) Meeting House, 1989.

Friends (Quakers) Meeting House – 1989

View of the doorway over which is the inscription ‘1697’

Friends Quakers 1989

M153 – Friends (Quakers) Meeting House, 1989.

 Friends (Quakers) Meeting House – 1989

Another view of the doorway.

Friends Quakers 1989

M156 – Friends (Quakers) Meeting House, 1989.

Friends (Quakers) Meeting House – 1989

A view of the Meeting House and burial ground.

Friends Quakers 1989

M157 – Friends (Quakers) Meeting House, 1989.

Friends (Quakers) Meeting House – 1989

An interior view of the original stables for the horses of the participants attending the Society of Friends (Quakers) meetings at the Meeting House on Quaker Lane. The stabled were being used as a temporary measure while the roof of the Meeting House was unsafe.

Friends Quakers Burial Ground 1989

M155 – Friends (Quakers) Meeting House, 1989.

Friends (Quakers) Meeting House, Burial Ground – 1989

Graves in the burial ground outside the Meeting House on Quaker Lane, December 1989. 

Page 1 of 2 More >>

Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 25 January 2021.
Last updated: 28 March 2021.

Leave a comment