Friends School 1832 – 1924 (2)

Friends School 1832-1924

S12 – Friends School Pupils Exercising – 1897.

Title Friends school 1832-1924
Date 1897
Location Rawdon
Photo ID S12
Comment Friends School Pupils – 1897. A class of girls having a drill lesson.
Friends School 1832-1924

Friends School Pupils 1897

Girls playing tennis.

S09 – Friends School Pupils Playing Tennis – 1897.

Friends School 1832-1924

Friends School Staff – 1897

Staff photograph at the Friends School.

S05 – Friends School Staff – 1897.

Friends School 1832-1924

Friends School Staff 1897

Staff with family members, Thomas Sittle is on the right holding up a penny farthing bicycle.

S06 – Friends School Staff – 1897.

Friends School 1832-1924

Friends School Pupils – 1898

Boys out in the school playground.

S15 – Friends School Pupils – 1898.

Friends School 1832-1924

Friends School Pupils – 1898

Boys out in the playground.

S10 – Friends School Pupils – 1898.

Friends School 1832-1924

Friends School Pupils – Undated

Children in the school playground on Low Green.

P324 – Friends School Pupils – Undated.

Friends School 1832-1924

Friends School Foundation Stone – 1898

Foundation stone for an extension to the Friends (Quakers) School on Low Green.
The school opened in 1832 and closed in 1924.
The inscription on the stone reads: ‘This stone was laid by Briggs Priestley MP June ? 1898’

A434 – Friends School Foundation Stone – 1898.

Friends School 1832-1924

Friends School Classroom – 1905

A photograph showing a Friends School classroom.

This photograph was originally dated as 1908, however, it has now been re dated thanks to an ‘eagle eyed’ member who noticed that the date on the blackboard read: July 24th 1905. See S13A below.
Many thanks to Gill.

S13 – Friends School Classroom – 1905.

Friends School 1832-1924

Friends School Classroom – 1905

An enlargement of S13 above, clearly showing the date July 24th 1905.

S13A – Friends School Classroom – 1905.

Friends School 1832-1924

Friends School Classroom – 1908

Boy’s classroom at the Friends School (Quaker) Low Green.
Looking down the classroom past long desks with fixed seating, there are dividing doors to create smaller rooms, an open fire and bookcases.
Illumination was provided by gas lighting and there are large desks for the master(s)

G094 – Friends School Classroom – 1908.

Friends School Harvest Festival Undated

Friends School Harvest Festival – Undated

A harvest festival display at the school with flowers, fruit and jars of preserves.

V39 – Friends School Harvest Festival – Undated.

Friends School 1832-1924

Friends School, Low Green – 1978

Low Green, an assortment of buildings which once housed the Society of Friends School (Quakers).
It closed in 1924, for a time people lived in the buildings, they are now utilised by various companies.

A333 – Friends School, Low Green – 1978.

Friends School 1832-1924

The inscribed stone ‘Friends School’ set into the wall can still be seen.

A334 – Friends School, Low Green – 1978.

Friends School 1832-1924

Leeds Road and the old Friends School are to the left of this view.


There is an entrance between the building with the gable end wall and the beginning of the row of cottages which led to a yard where there were houses for the school masters.

The cottage with the railings had once been a laundry which was partly underground. Low Green leads to Cliffe Lane and Cragg Woods.

Editor’s Note: Some of the crockery used at this school is now held by Friends (Quakers) Meeting House. To see them – Click Here.

Editor’s Note: A former pupil of this school, Frank Thompson, served and was killed during WW1. To see his medals – Click Here.

A335 – Friends School, Low Green – 1978.

Previous Comments:

DavidDowker
I worked there from 1973 till 1976 Aireborough Engineering as a welder and sheet metal worker, we had the three storeys of right hand building and building opposite and also far right ground floor for steel storage, little stone building in yard in front of Mini was outside loo to the left of mini and in front was paint shop and blacksmiths shop
01 January 2014

<< Page 1

Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 20 December 2020.
Last updated: 22 March 2021.

Leave a comment