Green Lane Cricket Club, 1926 – onwards

Green Lane Cricket Club 1926

Title Green Lane Cricket Club
Date 1926
Location Yeadon
Photo ID B004
Comment The Cricket Club was formed by employees of Naylor Jennings Green Lane Mill. Naylor Jennings gave the plot of land on Green Lane for the pitch and as at that time trade was slow they paid some of their men to level and turf the ground. In their first year the team came 2nd in the Wharfedale League, in the 1970’s the last matches were played as builders moved on and houses are now built on the site ( with roads called Cricketer Green). The Green Lane cricket teams are now based at Nunroyd Park. Some of the team have been named as follows: Back row left to right: 1? 2? 3 Jimmy Sample, 4? 5? 6 Harry Dale. Front Row left to right: 7? 8 Frank Crawford, 9 ? 10 Eric Berry, 11 Ernest Fawcett, 12 Herman Exley.
Green Lane Cricket Club 1960

D303 – Green Lane Cricket Club, 1960.

Green Lane Cricket Club – 1960

The team won the Dales Council Cricket League Cup in 1960.
The team were, back row left to right: Walter Luty (scorekeeper), Edward Lennon, Barry Coultas, Bernard Graham, Gerald Marshall, Jim Tillotson and Jack Driver.
Front row left to right: Malcolm Dibb, Ronnie Lawson, Denis Exley, Geoffrey Yeadon and Norman Cousins.

Green Lane Cricket Club 1973

C402 – Green Lane Cricket Club, 1973.

Green Lane Cricket Club – 1973

The last match of the season, Yeadon Green Lane v The Rest of The League.

Green Lane Cricket Club 1973

C403 – Green Lane Cricket Club, 1973.

Green Lane Cricket Club – 1973

This last match of the season was intended to be a farewell match before builders moved onto the site, however some matches were played afterwards.
Housing is now built on the site.

Green Lane Cricket Club Undated

C461 – Green Lane Cricket Club, Undated.

Green Lane Cricket Club – Undated

The information with this photograph stated that it was Green Lane Cricket Club.

Green Lane Cricket Club Undated

X98 – Green Lane Cricket Club, Undated.

Green Lane Cricket Club – Undated

The image has been damaged, the team are posing with their trophies.

Green Lane Cricket Club 1984

X287 – Green Lane Cricket Club, 1984.

Green Lane Cricket Club – 1984

By now the team play at Nunroyd Park where this photo was taken.
Photographer Dennis Court.

Green Lane Cricket Club 2015

L099 – Green Lane Cricket Club, 2015.

Green Lane Cricket Club – 2015

The Green Lane cricket pavilion at Nunroyd Park. The club house is shared with other groups.

Previous Comments:

Re L099
Facebook comments:
Brett Gilks – The club house is shared between a few clubs. Aireborough Ruby and Skyrack are two. But with it been situated by the cricket pitch I would guess that it would be recognised as Green Lane Cricket Club clubhouse by those not associated with the other clubs that use the facilities.

Nic Hawthorne – It’s ANSA club house not Green Lane pavilion. It houses Aireborough rugby Skyrac and most recent Aireborough action for the elderly and disabled.

Rachel O’Connor – The original clubhouse on Nunroyd Park was built for Green Lane CC in the early 1970s after their original ground in Green Lane was taken for housing (Cricketers Green) and they had spent time at a temporary home near Thornbury Barracks.

Brett Gilks – That would be Green Lane Cricket Club pitch. With the ANSA club house.

Diane Paterson – This is usually called Green Lane Cricket club . Transferred here from what is now Cricketers Green.

Consolidated by Elaine Ellwood. 04 February 2022.
Last updated: 10 February 2022.

Leave a comment