Greencroft

Greencroft 1977

Title Greencroft
Date 1977
Location Guiseley
Photo ID A411
Comment The land on which these cottages stand was once a 30 acre farm owned by William Hardwick, adjacent to the house “Greencroft” which was built on the Green in 1837. In 1851 it was the home of William Smith a cloth manufacturer. Later it became the residence of William Henry Cheetham a doctor who administered to his local patients for 52 years. He went on his rounds in a pony and trap until he acquired a car, one of the first in Guiseley. The cottages were possibly built to house servants, they have now been renovated and are part of Greencroft Mews.
Greencroft 1977

A412 – Greencroft, 1977.

Greencroft – 1977

Old farm buildings which were part of Greencroft property.
This cobbled yard has a barn on the left, then a mistle with herdsman’s accommodation on the second floor with outside stairs leading to it.

Greencroft 1977

A413 – Greencroft, 1977.

Greencroft – 1977

Well which was in the yard of Greencroft, The Green.
Lined with stone there is what appears to be a lead pipe, presumably water was pumped to the surface via the pipe.
This property is quite close to Guiseley Wells and the Springfield area, there was also a well in the grounds of the Albion Dyeworks which supplied all the water needed for the dyeing processes so the area was well served with readily available water.

Greencroft Cottage 2014

I456 – Greencroft Cottage, 2014.

Greencroft Cottage- 2014

Greencroft Cottage is located off the Green, it is unusual in that it is only one room wide with no windows to the rear of the property.

Photographer Edwy Harling.

Greencroft Mews 2014

I447 – Greencroft Mews, 2014.

Greencroft Mews – 2014

This enclave of housing off the Green includes some original stables, barns and outbuildings which have been renovated and new houses built around 2000-2005.

Photographer Edwy Harling.

Greencroft Mews 2014

I448 – Greencroft Cottage, 2014.

Greencroft Mews – 2014

As above.

Photographer Edwy Harling.

Greencroft Mews 2014

I449 – Greencroft Mews, 2014.

Greencroft Mews – 2014

This was the original Greencroft house dating from the late 1830s/ early 1840s.

Photographer Edwy Harling.

Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 22 February 2022.
Last updated: 22 February 2022.

Leave a comment