High Street 1860 to present (02)

High Street c1900
Title High Street
Date c1900 to c1906
Location Yeadon
Photo ID B143
Comment On the left edge is a barbers shop, business of W T Hepton, it was also a receiving office for “Robert Pullan Ltd, Nidd Valley Laundry, Darley”. Next, Walter Gooder had a butchers shop. Further up the High Street the property with the gable end Facing has a sign “A Brock & Co”, beneath the sign is a wooden hut where Emmanuel Southwell sold tripe and cow heel ( a nutritious addition to stews).

The tall building on the right is Poll Marsden’s lodging house.
Although this was referred to as the “Model” lodging house it offered very basic facilities catering mostly for itinerants.

The Council minutes of 1904 recommended:
“Beds used as married quarters must be properly screened from other beds”. Lodgers slept between 2 to the maximum of 15 to a room!
This building was bought by the Council for £900 to provide open space in front of the Town Hall , this work was completed in 1925.

High Street c1900 to c1906

B151 – High Street, c1900 to c 1906.

High Street – c1900 to c1906

View of the High Street, on the left the low building with posters on the wall was Anne Midgeley’s stables, after the stables were demolished Yeadon Picture House was built in the vicinity which opened in 1925.
The building which projects out into the road was the Bradford Old Bank.

High Street c1900 to c1906

G087 – High Street, c1900 to c1906.

High Street – c1900 to c1906

Robert Howard’s shop is on the right with steps up to it.
He was a paper merchant and also sold stockings, this was facing the Town Hall.

High Street c1900 to c1906

SL008 – High Street, c1900 to c 1906.

High Street – c1900 to c1906

View of the High Street taken by local photographer E.E. Slater.
The boy is outside the premises of E. Marshall, house furnisher and picture framer, the shop to the right is a ladies and gents outfitters.

High Street c1900 to c1906

Y11 – High Street, c1900 to c1906.

High Street – c1900 to c1906

It is thought that these people are queuing outside the old Post Office.

High Street c1900 to c1906

K712 – High Street, c1900 to c 1906.

High Street – c1900 to c1906

Looking up the High Street, c1900, on the left is Rawdon Co-op store at the corner with Marshall Street, then the Lecture Hall, next Albert Mill then Albert Square (not in view) and the Upper High Street.

High Street c1900 to c1906

H476 – High Street, c1900 to c1906.

High Street – c1900 to c1906

The following two images of the High Street with the junction to Ivegate on the right.
In the 1900s view, the shop behind the policemen was a newsagents and remained so for decades.

Two policemen are watching the cameraman.
Chippendales shop has the blinds down. This family business moved to Guiseley where they continued to manufacture their footwear, remaining in business until quite recently.
On the right is a shop with the name Hardman above the window.

High Street c1900 to c1906

H477 – High Street, c1900 & 2000.

High Street – c1900 & 2015

Chippendales shop is currently (2015) a shoe shop again.

The 2000 photo is the same view with different businesses.

In the 1900s view the shop behind the policemen was a newsagents and remained so for decades.

Donated by Paul Weston

High Street c1900 to C1906

H271 – High Street, c1900 to c1906.

High Street – c1900 to c1906

The following two images of the High Street contrasted over time, the property on the left in the 1903 photo was Dawson’s shop.

High Street c1900 to C1906

H272 – High Street, c1900 & 2000.

High Street – c1900 & 2015

In 2000, this was Geo. Akins Bookmakers.
Donated by Paul Weston.

High Street c1900 to c1906

A074 – High Street, c1900 to c1906.

High Street – c1900 to c1906

5th Dec 1905, Yeadon High Street, on the day of the General Election 1905.

On the left is the Steep, the building covered in posters is the Conservative headquarters.

To the right is a carriage, both passengers, a man and a woman are leaning down to speak to people in the street.

The carriage is being driven by a man in a top hat. One of the local candidates was a man called Whyhill.

Arthur James Balfour conservative Prime Minister lost the election and a Liberal government with Henry Campbell Bannerman as PM took power.

High Street c1900 to c1906

I134 – High Street, c1900 & 2000.

High Street – c1900 & 2015

The 1905 image shows a butchers shop partly on the site where the Yorkshire Bank is now located.
Donated by Paul Weston.

High Street c1900 to c1906

I135 – High Street, c1900 to c1906.

High Street – c1900 & 2015

As above but in 2015.

High Street 1900 Howgate

SL015 – High Street, c1900 & c1906.

High Street – c1900 & c1906

At the left edge is Robert Howard’s shop selling stockings.
E Howgate “Licensed game dealer “has festooned his premises with rabbits, fowl and game birds, he has also put a stand at the edge of the road.
Written on the image is – “A Merry Christmas To All”.
On the right is a butchers shop with carcasses displayed outside, these shops were opposite the Town Hall.

High Street c1900 to c1906

A073 – High Street, c1900 & c1906.

High Street – c1900 & c1906

Looking across Yeadon High Street, the building facing the camera is George Howgates shop, he sold game, poultry and rabbits.

The taller building behind is the Model Lodging House run by Poll Marsden.

Both these properties were demolished to create space in front of the Town Hall.

To the right are two shops, this block was known as Albion Buildings, on the back of the image is a notation
“G.H.Womersley’s shop”, possibly the larger of the two?

The spire of the Town Hall can be seen with part of the clock face.

High Street c1900 to c1906

A099 – High Street, c1900 to c1906.

High Street – c1900 & c1906

This view is looking down Yeadon High Street from the direction of Albert Square.

On the left almost in the middle of this image is a low building, this was a stables operated by Ann Midgeley, it would later be the site for Yeadon Picture House.
The stables ran various local enterprises, one of which was a carriage service to Apperley Bridge railway station.

The junction with Marshall Street is on the right.

The shop on the right edge belonged to Tom Vickers a butcher, unusually there was a fireplace in the shop.
He also had shops in Guiseley and Menston run by his sons.

Animals were kept in fields off Cemetery Road, the slaughterhouse was behind the shop and the Lecture Hall which stood next to it.

High Street 1905 Butterworths

B033 – High Street, c1900 & c1906.

High Street – c1900 & c1906

1905 – A Butterworth, upholsterers, cabinet makers and furnishers, Mrs Butterworth is seen here in the shop doorway which was on the Steep (Town Street).
The left window advertises “Bassinettes, Wringing and Sewing Machines”, there is an assortment of goods on display including pictures, chairs and bed-head rails.
The right window displays clothing.
The smaller of the two girls married a man called Ken Myers.
Mr Butterworth was also a postman, the shop Was until recently occupied by Caron Cobe ladies wear. (February 2013)

Previous Comments:

Re SL008 & D318
Hannah1
The two houses with the lower roofline is where Lloyds Chemist now stands, and I believe that the Post Office had a phone, you can see the connection on the wall over the door, they look as if they are just opening hence the queue. Looking at their attire I would put it a bit later.
11 December 2014.

Re D318
Queensway
The people are looking dressed for the occasion, whatever it is. Also, the telephone/telegraph connection noted by Hannah has no wires attached. So, has the Post Office vacated, and what were the premises used for next? Anybody?
13 November 2020.

<< Page 1 Page 3 >>

Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 09 May 2021.
Last updated: 07 November 2021 – Photo ID: B033 & SL015.

Leave a comment