High Street 1860 to present (04)

High Street 1920 to 1955
Title High Street
Date 1920s to 1955
Location Yeadon
Photo ID E463
Comment A procession, possibly Yeadon Carnival coming down the High Street headed by a Brass Band. On the left is a shop owned by John Crockatt, standing in front of the shop are ladies wearing the then fashionable cloche hats. Photographer E E Slater and digitally transferred by John Hobson.
High Street 1925

R112 – High Street, 1925.

High Street – 1925

On the left are the offices of Yeadon Waterworks, the entrance to the right led to Starkey’s Fold.
Next, Ben Brown’s greengrocers shop decorated for the Carnival.
Above the shop is the Textile Hall, these premises were formerly the Liberal Club. People are gathering to watch the Carnival procession.

High Street 1930

A098 – High Street, 1930.

High Street – 1930

On the left edge is Ben Brown’s greengrocers, goods are displayed outside the shop a delivery bicycle is also outside.

On the wall facing a notice lists the advantages of Yeadon Picture House, amongst them are “courtesy, comfort, cosiness, cheerfulness and cleanliness”.
The Picture House is the building with the white frontage, it opened on 3rd August 1925.
The first film to be shown was “The Man Who Came Back”, starring George O’ Brian and Dorothy MacKaill.
It was a silent film, music was played during the screening by the Melody Quartet. Admission prices were 4d and 6d for the stalls and 9d for the balcony.

It became a bingo hall and is now converted into the Aviator public house.

On the right edge is Lucas’s stores, licensed grocers also selling sweets and tobacco, the shop sign advises “Try our County Ale in a Bottle”

High Street 1930s

D090 – High Street, 1930s.

High Street – 1930s

Bottom of the High Street with Ivegate on the left, the shop on the left is now the “Great Outdoors”.
Town Street (the Steep) is to the right of the shop.
To the right is Silver Lane, the High Street is at the right edge.

High Street 1939

FB196 – High Street, 1939.

High Street – 1939

Taken at the outbreak of the second world war. On the left is Gallon’s grocers shop, there is a lamp post which has white stripes painted on the bottom, this was to help people pick out obstacles during the blackout.
On the right, outside the newsagents shop are two boys, Henry Ives is standing and Sam Kilburn is perched on the window ledge.
Donated by Sam Kilburn.

High Street 1940

A468 – High Street, 1940.

High Street – 1940

On the left is the business of Joe Lee & Son, once it was a furniture shop by the time of this image the property was partly utilized as a snack bar and ice-cream parlor.
Next is a branch of Gallons Ltd, once a well known chain of grocery shops.

Moving right the first shop with a window blind is M H Rigg, butchers who also had a shop at Rawdon which is now Wilkinsons.

The van is parked outside Birdsalls shoe shop which also has a canopy blind.

On the right, where the sign for “Players Please” cigarettes projects from the wall is Crofts newsagents.

High Street 1947

A255 – High Street, 1947.

High Street – 1947

Yeadon High Street under snow, this section of the High Street is viewed from just below the White Swan public house.

The winter of 1947 was one of the coldest of the 20th Century in Britain.
Heavy snowfalls persisted from January until March.

The harsh weather conditions were made worse by shortages of fuel and rationing in the immediate post-war years.

High Street 1940s

G264 – High Street, 1940s.

High Street – 1940s

A branch of the Rawdon Co-operative Society at the corner with Marshall Street which is on the left.
The store eventually came under the umbrella of the Leeds Co-op until it closed some time after 1983.
It was then a video rental store and is at present (2014) a frozen food outlet, the upper floors were converted into a restaurant which has had various themes and is now ‘il Sogno’, Italian Restaurant.

High Street 1940s

G083 – High Street, 1940s.

High Street – 1940s

The property on the left belonged to J Berry, moving right were N Wilkinson, grocer, Grimshaw’s drapers and Langley’s shop which sold stationery, fancy goods, newspapers and also offered picture framing.
The board outside the shop has details of events in that days newspapers, notably that it was the beginning of the football season.

High Street 1950s

F214 – High Street, 1950s.

High Street – 1950s

Possibly 1950s. Abraham Altham’s shop at the corner with Marshall Street (left), to the right is the Lecture Hall.

High Street 1950s

D091 – High Street, 1950s.

High Street – 1950s

Queen Street is on the left, Yeadon Picture House is the white building. On the right edge is the Lecture Hall with a new entrance.
Past the shop with the blind is the junction with Marshall Street.

High Street 1952

D097 – High Street, 1952.

High Street – 1952

A busy scene on the High Street, to the left is Ben Brown’s greengrocers. Moving right is J Bradbury & Sons pork butchers, the shop behind the back of the Sammy Ledgard’s bus is H R McDermid.
The two shops in the new block with the flat roof are Wood’s chemist and Zip dry cleaners.
On the right edge is the Co-operative store.

High Street 1955

FB017 – High Street, 1955.

High Street – 1955

Bottom of the High Street, looking towards Town Hall Square. On the left is the Post Office, now closed and the service relocated to the top end of the High Street adjacent to Morrisons.
Next, a branch of Gallons grocers, facing onto Town Hall Square is the Leeds Co-op store (now Library).

A concrete bus shelter stands at the edge of the square, this type of shelter was common in Aireborough. On the right is Martin’s dry cleaners, until very recently this was still a dry cleaners but not trading as Martins.

Donated by Dennis Court.

High Street 1955

FB023 – High Street, 1955.

High Street – 1955

The crossroads where High Street meets Harrogate Road (left), Victoria Avenue (right) and Bayton Lane (right foreground).

In the bottom left corner is a “Shell” sign for a garage, on the right side of the High Street is Moorfield Mill, business of William Murgatroyd.
A fish restaurant bearing his name is now on this site.

Donated by Dennis Court.

High Street 1955

G046 – High Street, 1955.

High Street – 1955

This property had been acquired by Aireborough Urban District Council under the 1949 Housing Act, for improvement and renovation. In view is a cast iron range with an open fire and side oven, to the right is a shallow stone sink with a cupboard underneath.
A flexible pipe on the side would have supplied gas for a gas ring used to cook on. The floor is stone flagged.

It is a 2 storey stone cottage , the back faces the High Street and it fronts onto Grange Road.

After improvements the kitchen had a ceramic “Belfast” sink installed which was re-sited under the window with a wooden draining board to each side plus a hot water supply, also a gas cooker and an electric wash boiler.
The house was completely renovated with the addition of a bathroom. For a time it was used as a show house until the first tenants were given the keys with some ceremony by local Councillors, Mr James Carnochan and Mrs Phyllis Carnochan were the first to occupy the house.

Previous Comments:

Re A255
Teleg
I remember this well as I had just started work at Billy Murg’s after the war and tried to cycle to work from the top of Henshaw Lane, but had to push the bike all the way as the snow was too deep.
25 June 2013.

Re FB023
Teleg
The Hut to the right is where the home guard picket hut used to be during the war.
25 June 2013.

Re FB023
Roadtramp
My Wife’s father Jim Wellman, was night watchman at Murgatroyd’s Mill.
18 August 2014.

<< Page 3 Page 5 >>

Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 10 May 2021.
Last updated: 10 May 2021.

Leave a comment