High Street 1860 to present (08)

High Street 1990s
Title High Street
Date 1990 to 2004
Location Yeadon
Photo ID P280
Comment Looking across from outside the Clothier’s Arms which is out of view on the left to the corner with Marshall Street. Blockbusters video outlet is in what was the Leeds Co-op store, on the other corner is an estate agents, moving right Elle Louise fashions, Thompson (Tui) travel agency, Oxfam, Betfred and Rosie Pound selling cards and assorted goods.
High Street 1994

FB046 – High Street, 1994.

High Street – 1994

On the left is the Bran Tub, moving right at 35 is Bev Wood florist, next the “Tea Taster” café then Medimart chemist followed by Best Wishes card shop and Thurston’s bakers on the right.
The Bran Tub became a sweet shop now closed as well as Bev Wood’s and Best Wishes.
The café operates under another name as does the chemist, Thurston’s is now Greggs.

High Street 1994

FB249 – High Street, 1994.

High Street – 1994

The High Street, looking down towards the Steep (Town Street).

On the left is Devonshire Place, Kettleys furniture shop on Ivegate can be seen.

In the foreground is part of Town Hall Square, the public toilets the sign points to where it was demolished.
Crockatt’s Cleaning has gone, the premises are empty at present (June 2013), next, at the junction with Ivegate and the Steep is the “Great Outdoors”, at the opposite corner on Silver Lane is the National Westminster Bank.

High Street 1994

FB305 – High Street, 1994.

High Street – 1994

On the left is a card shop, Best Wishes. Moving right are Thurston’s (now Greggs). The Vegetable Patch (now Hunters Estate Agents) and the Leeds Building Society.
Cavney’s butchers, now Wilkinsons butchers is to the right.

Image Donated by Dennis Court.

High Street 1994

FB306 – High Street, 1994.

High Street – 1994

On the left is the Box of Cards, the Bran Tub is in the middle with Bev Wood florist on the right at number 35.

Image Donated by Dennis Court.

High Street 1994

FB307 – High Street, 1994.

High Street – 1994

View lookng towards the bottom of the High Street, on the left is the Yorkshire Bank, moving right Haigh’s Bakery can be seen then the Bradford and Bingley Building Society.
The Co-op Pharmacy is in the centre with the Box of Cards on the right.

Image Donated by Dennis Court.

High Street 1995

FB179 – High Street, 1995.

High Street – 1995

Aerial photo of the top end of the High Street including 83B (Air Supply shop), taken before the construction of a sheltered housing project to the rear of the shops on Club Row.
The shop next to Air Supply is “Bike Wear” at 85 High Street with the Albert Inn at the corner with Cemetery Road.

Donated by Ken Cothliff.

High Street 1999

Y15 – High Street, 1999.

High Street – 1999

The junction of the High Street with Ivegate, Town Street (The Steep) is on the right.

At the end of the High Street is Cliffe’s newsagents, going round onto Ivegate is an empty shop, the Crown public house can be seen further along Ivegate.

On the right side of Ivegate is Rivoli Pizza, then a hairdressers, Type-Write then the Great Outdoors and finally the corner with Town Street.

High Street 1999

Y16 – High Street, 1999.

High Street – 1999

Silver Lane is out of view on the left, the former post office is boarded up and to let. It became a bar then a restaurant.
Moving right are Castle Hill Windows, Help The Aged, a shoe shop then a pharmacy.

High Street 1999

Y17 – High Street, 1999.

High Street – 1999

On the left is the Clothiers Arms, currently undergoing refurbishment by Weatherspoon’s (April 2013).
The present Yeadon Post Office is under the glass canopy, the taller structure on the right is the entrance to Morrisons store.

High Street 1999

Y018 – High Street, 1999.

High Street – 1999

On the left is the Albert Inn, this is the upper or “top end” of the High Street.

High Street 1999

Y019 – High Street, 1999.

High Street – 1999

On the left edge part of Thompsons travel agency is just in view, next is an Oxfam shop then at number 79 are empty post office premises.
The post office had moved here from larger premises at the bottom of the High Street and was then transferred to a permanent home next to the entrance to Morrisons on the opposite side of the street.
Rosie Pound shop has lamps and fancy goods in the window, on the corner is the Yeadon Curtain Gallery.

High Street 2000

H250 – High Street, 2000.

High Street – 2000

A branch of Yorkshire Bank can be seen, to the left is Whitegates Estate Agents and on the right St. Anne’s charity shop.

Donated by Paul Weston.

High Street 2000

H446 – High Street, 2000.

High Street – 2000

On the left is Yeadon Picture House, now the Aviator public house (January 2015).

To the right are a variety of shops including, from the left, Co-op Pharmacy, Bran Tub, Bev Wood Florist, Veg Patch greengrocers, Halifax Building Society, Sue Ryder charity shop and C & R Trading.

Donated by Paul Weston.

High Street 1915-2000 dual image

H320 – High Street, 1915 – 2000.

High Street – 1915 – 2000

Two views of the same property : in 1915 it was Lister’s stores, 2000 the same property was Diego’s Hairdressers.

High Street 1915 - 2000 dual image

H321 – High Street, 1915 – 2000.

High Street – 1915 – 2000

In 2006 the business had new owners and is called Tribes.

High Street 2004

Fb122 – High Street, 2004.

High Street – 2004

This view looks down the High Street towards Town Street (the Steep), to the left is Ivegate, Silver Lane to the right.
Barclays Bank is on the left, an orange poster advertises a production called “Chicago Nights” to be performed in Yeadon Town Hall, the library is next but not in view.
Yorkshire Bank is on the right with railings in front of the building, “Box of Cards” (now closed) is on the right next to the Co-op Pharmacy.

Photographer Joanne Coultas.

<< Page 7 Page 9 >>

Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 12 May 2021.
Last updated: 12 May 2021.

Leave a comment