Lister’s Store – 1910

Lister's Store 1910
Title Lister’s Store
Date 1910
Location Yeadon
Photo ID B317
Comment Situated on the High Street at the junction with Club Row, Lister’s was a grocers and provision merchants. Hams and bacon hang over the window on the left, plus brushes and a rubbing board (this was a piece of corrugated metal set in a wooden frame, used for laundering clothes it would be held in a tub of water and garments rubbed up and down on it to loosen the dirt). Two men stand in the doorway with paint brushes and other articles hanging round them. A sign on the wall reads “Best Flour 1/7d”, Oxo cubes are advertised at the top of the right window, they came onto the market in 1900. Two barrows are marked “Coals” the price was 111/2per CWT (112 Imperial pounds, over 50 kilos). Not sure what the 111/2 signifies, in 1910 coal cost approximately 1/8d per CWT. The barrows would be used to deliver the coal for customers. This property is now a gents hairdressers.(July 2012)

Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 26 November 2021.
Last updated: 26 November 2021.

Leave a comment