Methodists (1)

Methodists 1999

Title Methodists
Date 1999
Location Yeadon
Photo ID EE002
Comment On the left is the former Primitive Methodist Chapel, now used as offices (January 2014). The building in the centre and to the right was part of the Wesleyan Chapel and is now the present Yeadon Methodist Church (January 2014). A further glimpse of the present church can be seen on the left edge. Town Hall Square is in the foreground with a car park area on what was Devonshire Place to the right.
Methodists Undated

P117 – Methodists, Undated.

Methodists – Undated

Two gravestones set into the exterior wall of the church. The stone on the left is for Betsy Sawyer who died in 1839. To the right is the marker for James Myers who died during the construction of Bramhope Tunnel.

Methodists Undated

E186 – Methodists, Undated.

Methodists – Undated

A group of Methodist ladies, on the back row from left to right are: ?, ?, Mrs Ward, Eileen Hardcastle, Mrs Long, Jean Mawson.
Front row left to right: Ruth Thompson, Mrs Thompson and Mrs Richardson.

Donated by Brenda Mawson.

Methodist Altar 1973

X204 – Methodists, 1973.

Methodists – 1973

Service took place for the re-dedication of the church.

Methodists 1979

JH075 – Methodists, 1979.

Methodists – 1979

In the foreground is the former Wesleyan Chapel burial ground, this was cleared of grave monuments and the area grassed over.
The old Wesleyan Chapel was demolished in the 1950s, it stood in the area where the present car park is sited (October 2013), the right side of the present church was the old Wesleyan schoolroom.

Image digitally transferred from a 35 mm slide by John Hobson.

Methodists Undated

P125 – Methodists, Undated.

Methodists – Undated

An undated view of the church.

Methodists Undated

P123 – Methodists, Undated.

Methodists – Undated

Another undated view from a different angle.

Methodists 1996

S70 – Methodists, 1996.

Methodists – 1996

Seen from Chapel Hill, on the right is the former Primitive Methodist Chapel, abutting this building is the new entrance to the present Methodist Church. On the right are church meeting rooms.

Methodists Undated

S71 – Methodists, Undated.

Methodists – Undated

Old foundation stone from the original Wesleyan Methodist Chapel.
It is inscribed “This stone was laid on behalf of the Ladies Sewing Meeting by Mrs W T Pullen”.

Methodists Undated

S72 – Methodists, Undated.

Methodists – Undated

Old foundation stone from the original Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. It is inscribed “This stone was laid on behalf of the Sunday School by Mr John Peel.

Methodists Undated

S73 – Methodists, 1996.

Methodists – 1996

A banner inside the church.

Methodists Undated

S74 – Methodists, 1996.

Methodists – 1996

This is the body of the church, looking towards the central altar with pulpit and piano to the left and choir stalls on the right.

Methodists Undated

S76 – Methodists, 1996.

Methodists – 1996

A close up image of the altar.

Methodists 1996

S54 – Methodists, 1996.

Methodists – 1996

Close up of an old date stone set into the new church wall, it is inscribed “Primitive Methodist Chapel Bought 1856 Erected 1831”.
The various Methodist sects which had worshipped in Yeadon, Primitive, Wesleyan, New Connexion, all eventually came together in 1932 to form the present Methodist Church.

Methodists 1996

S57 – Methodists, 1996.

Methodists – 1996

An image of the new entrance.

Page 1 of 2 More >>

Consolidated by Elaine Ellwood. 01 February 2022.
Last updated: 01 February 2022.

Leave a comment