|Title||Nether Yeadon School|
|Location||Rawdon & Yeadon Border|
|Comment||Situated on Warm Lane, this is now a private dwelling. In 1703 land was leased for 999 years from Henry Layton, Lord of the Manor of Yeadon, it was rented for 2d (2 pence) a year to provide a school for local children. The covenant was signed by Henry Layton and five other local Baptist worthies. The original school was rebuilt in 1821, a town meeting elected to pay £20 towards the building costs, the remainder collected by public donations. A two storey dwelling to house the schoolmaster was linked to the single storey school by a staircase. A stone in the paved area in front of the house reads ” This building was erected by subscription for the purpose of a school AD1823 and is the joint property of Yeadon and Rawdon”. The building was also used for Church services until Benton Congregational Church opened in 1846. When the last master died in 1905 the building was left empty, with permission from the trustees the premises were sold by public auction in 1906. Money from the sale was invested and the Yeadon and Rawdon Foundation formed to give monetary aid to scholars from the townships, it provided scholarships (up to £20 per year in 1938) for pupils at the Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School, later known as Aireborough Grammar School.|
P018 – Nether Yeadon School, Undated.
Nether Yeadon School – Undated
Stone which is inscribed “This building was erected by subscription for the purpose of a school AD1823 and is the joint property of Rawden and Yeadon”.
A023 – Nether Yeadon School, 1980.
Nether Yeadon School – 1980
Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 18 April 2021.
Last updated: 15 January 2022 – Photo ID: A023.