Old Dog Mill (1)

Old Dog Mill 1906
Title Old Dog Mill
Date 1906
Location Yeadon
Photo ID A183
Comment Old Mill, or ‘T’owd Dog’ dates to 1792, and was built by Joseph Cawthray as the first steam-powered mill in the town of Yeadon. By the mid 1880’s, a local man Albert Shutt began clearing the rubbish around the ponds and surrounding area ( see Engine fields). Now in 2021, the old mill has planning permission for conversion to apartments.

Old Dog Mill fire – 5th Dec 1906.

At this time the Old Dog Mill was owned by Sir John Brown and his son Bright Brown, part of the mill was also used by the Yeadon Dyeing Company. A small fire in the rag grinding area had been extinguished on the 4th of December and the mill was closed for the night.

At 4am the next morning another fire was discovered, possibly something had been left smouldering the day before. With great speed a manual fire appliance was pulled down from Crompton Mill with Guiseley Fire Brigade arriving shortly after.

At 5.15am Shipley Fire Brigade were on the scene with a contingent from Leeds at 5.30am. It proved to be Yeadon’s worst conflagration, it was unstoppable, the ferocity of the blaze consumed everything leaving only wreckage and 150 people with no work. Miraculously there were no fatalities.

Donated by Isabel Douglas.

Old Dog Mill 1906

D109 – Old Dog Mill, 1906.

Old Dog Mill – 1906

A view of the Old Dog Mill well ablaze.

Old Dog Mill 1906

SL079 – Old Dog Mill, 1906.

Old Dog Mill – 1906

Another view of the fire and destruction at the Old Dog Mill.

Old Dog Mill 1906

G070 – Old Dog Mill, 1906.

Old Dog Mill – 1906

The Old Dog Mill destruction is shown in this image.

Donated by Isabel Douglas.

Old Dog Mill 1906

B043 – Old Dog Mill, 1906.

Old Dog Mill – 1906

It was a major blow to the workforce to be out of work so close to Christmas, although Jonathan Peate was not involved with this mill he sent a voucher to each person to enable them to purchase a few seasonal treats.

Old Dog Mill 1906

B044 – Old Dog Mill, 1906.

Old Dog Mill – 1906

The Old Dog Mill destruction is shown in this image.

Old Dog Mill 1906

B045 – Old Dog Mill, 1906.

Old Dog Mill – 1906

It was a sad time for the workers to see their employment in ruins.

Old Dog Mill 1906

SL088 – Old Dog Mill, 1906.

Old Dog Mill – 1906

The Old Dog Mill some of the destruction is shown in this image with some bystanders, probably workers employed at the Old Dog Mill standing in the foreground.

Old Dog Mill 1906

G912 – Old Dog Mill, 1906.

Old Dog Mill – 1906

Ruins of the Old Dog Mill and three further interior views, taken after the disastrous fire in 1906.

Old Dog Mill 1906

G913 – Old Dog Mill, 1906.

Old Dog Mill – 1906

As above.

Old Dog Mill 1906

G914 – Old Dog Mill, 1906.

Old Dog Mill – 1906

As above.

Old Dog Mill 1906

G915 – Old Dog Mill, 1906.

Old Dog Mill – 1906

As above.

Old Dog Mill 1906/1998

P105 – Old Dog Mill, 1906/1998.

Old Dog Mill – 1906/1998

A photo of the fire which ravaged the mill in 1906 and a later view of the mill remains with the mill pond in the foreground. In the mid 1980s the ponds became the focus of a clean-up campaign, it is now the Engine Fields Conservation area (November 2015).

Old Dog Mill 1906

CH172 – Old Dog Mill, 1906.

Old Dog Mill – 1906

An article which appeared in the Wharfedale and Airedale Observer about the fire at the OLd Dog Mill in December 1906, illustrated with images from the collection of the AHS. Also a group photo of the AHS archive team.

Donated by Carlo Harrison.

Old Dog Mill 1968

FBA130 – Old Dog Mill, 1968.

Old Dog Mill – 1968

A sketch by Sam Kilburn titled “Sunset Over Old Dog Mill”.

Donated by Sam Kilburn.

Page 1 of 2 More >>

Consolidated by Elaine Ellwood. 14 May 2021.
Last updated: 17 May 2021.

Leave a comment