Old Smithy – c1905

Old Smithy c1905

Title Old Smithy
Date c1905
Location Guiseley
Photo ID F051
Comment The old smithy was a popular place for a warm and a gossip, the man in the image, Joseph Dunwell was a frequent visitor. He had been injured during the Boer War and didn’t work. Local people knew he could be found at the smithy and often took food there for him.
Old Smithy c1905

M104 – Old Smithy, c1905.

Old Smithy – c1905

The blacksmith and his workers outside the old smithy on Towngate.
To the right a poster advertises East Chevin Farm for sale.

Old Smithy c1905

E066 – Old Smithy, c1905.

Old Smithy – c1905

Men and boys gathered outside the Old Smithy in Towngate.
It was bought by Guiseley Council in 1907 to be demolished for road improvements.
A poem was written about the smithy in the 1930s by the Rev. Joseph C Booth, at that time in New York, USA, the first verse is:

“The Smithy as a landmark stood
In view of Guiseley’s Cross
T’was owned and run by old Jack Wood
With Arthur—-as his Boss”

The complete poem can be read in, ‘Round and About Aireborough’, Volume 1, (page 29) by Martin Rigg, MTD Rigg Publications 1988.

Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 01 May 2022.
Last updated: 01 May 2022.

Leave a comment