Park Gate House – c1904

Park Gate House c1904

Title Park Gate House
Date c1904
Location Guiseley
Photo ID A478
Comment 1910: As early as 1625 children of the Ives and Bailey families have entries in the Guiseley Church Register with addresses at “Parke Yate” . Parkgate is situated off Park Road and dates from around 1725-1735, belonging to the Marshall family. Jeremiah Marshall had John Wesley stay as his guest on several occasions. In 1815 Benjamin Thompson bought the house and gardens from the Risdale family, when Sir Matthew William Thompson married Benjamin’s daughter Mary Ann he became the owner and lived there from 1857. He enlarged the house and improved the gardens. This is the front view of the house and lake. It is now divided into apartments. (January 2013)
Park Gate House c1904

D076 – Park Gate House, c1904.

Park Gate House – c1904

Park Road. On the right is a lodge and the entrance to Park Gate House, former home of Sir Matthew William Thompson.

Park Gate House c1904

D076 – Park Gate House, c1904.

Park Gate House – c1904

An unknown group of women and children in the drive of Park Gate House, behind them is the lodge house and Park Road.

Park Gate House c1904

AA30 – Park Gate House, c1904.

Park Gate House – c1904

A date stone for 1868 with the initials PM.
Before Matthew William Thompson was in residence it belonged to the Marshall family.

Park Gate House 1904

Z103 – Park Gate House, 1904.

Park Gate House – 1904

Janet Culling found this photo on the reverse of a photo in a frame in her home in Leiston, Suffolk. It shows Park Gate House after a snowfall.

Park Gate House 1904

Z104 – Park Gate House, 1904.

Park Gate House – 1904

A date stone for 1868 with the initials PM.
Before Matthew William Thompson was in residence it belonged to the Marshall family.

Consolidated by Linda Plonka. 28 February 2022.
Last updated: 01 March 2022.

Leave a comment