|Comment||A drawing of the Picture Palace by George Foggitt of Ashfield, Yeadon, he later lived in Rawdon. He was an architect who designed many local mills and buildings. Before the cinema opened picture shows were given at the old Wesleyan Methodist Chapel off Town Street. The Picture Palace was built for a man known only by his surname ‘Runnyman’, the site on Otley Road had been used as a pitch for travelling fairs. ‘Runnyman’ operated the projector in addition to playing the piano to accompany the early silent films. In 1959 the Picture Palace closed, the last film to be shown was “No Time To Die” starring Victor Mature and Anthony Newley. The building is now occupied by Harrison Bailey Bathrooms. (March 2014).|
Picture Palace – 1913
A mobile advertising unit for Guiseley Picture Palace, the owner was always referred to as ‘Runnyman’, the location is thought to be Towngate.
He also produced the sound effects, played the piano, kept young customers in order and any other tasks involved in the running of the cinema. Fuller details of this and other cinemas in the area can be found in a new publication (2017) “Off To’ Flicks in Aireborough” by local author David Ryder.
D599 – Picture Palace, 1913.
Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 06 May 2022.
Last updated: 06 May 2022.