Silver Badge Café – 1928

Silver Badge Cafe 1928
Title Silver Badge Café
Date 1928
Location Guiseley
Photo ID R120
Comment Located on Otley Road, White Cross, the building was previously an old Army hut. The café was first owned by 2 soldiers who had fought in the 1914-18 War, they named it the “Silver Badge”. In this view it was owned by Mrs Wells seen on the left, next to her is Beatrice Brooks. The child is 8 years old Hazel Pickering. Harry Ramsden bought the premises in 1928 for £150 and began his fish and chip business there, only a couple of years later the road was widened and Ramsden built his restaurant which still stands, now the Wetherby Whaler (September 2013) Mrs Wells built a café to the right of Ramsden’s restaurant which later became the Damn Yankee, then an Indian food outlet, it is now closed (January 2013).

Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 02 May 2022.
Last updated: 02 May 2022.

Leave a comment