St. Andrew’s Church, 1889 – 2015 (1)

St. Andrew's Church Undated

Title St. Andrew’s Church
Date Undated
Location Yeadon
Photo ID G064
Comment Situated on Haw Lane and built in 1889, it is no longer used by the Church of England. Re named New Life Community Church in 2015. Image donated by Heather Smaellie.
St. Andrew's Church Undated

X201 – St. Andrew’s Church, Undated.

St. Andrew’s Church – Undated

Interior view of the church looking towards the altar.

Image donated by Heather Smaellie.

St. Andrew's Church 1904

D116 – St. Andrew’s Church, 1904.

St. Andrew’s Church – 1904

Interior view of St. Andrew’s Church.

St. Andrew's Church Undated

C086 – St. Andrew’s Church, Undated.

St. Andrew’s Church Vicarage – Undated

The vicarage is to the immediate North of the church

It was built around 1890/91, the architects were Chorley, Gibbon and Foggitt of 3 Park Place Leeds.
Like the church, it is in the Arts and Crafts style influenced by William Morris.

St. Andrew's Church Undated

N09 – St. Andrew’s Church, Undated.

St. Andrew’s Church – Undated

View across the garden to the Vicarage.

St. Andrew's Church 1910

A129 – St. Andrew’s Church, Undated.

St. Andrew’s Church – 1910

The Vicar’s bible class, St. Andrew’s Church.
The Vicar is the Rev. C.S. Forsyth, he is seated in the middle of the front row clasping a top hat.
He became Vicar of St. Andrew’s in May 1903.

St. Andrew's Church 1912

T53 – St. Andrew’s Church, 1912.

St. Andrew’s Church – 1912

St. Andrew’s Sunday School teachers.
On the back row left to right are: Stephen Dennison, ?, Miss Forsyth, ?, Jack Oddy, ?, Mr Barraclough, ?, Mrs Forsyth, Duncan Yeadon, Harold Witham, Lizzie Almgil, Gwen Yeadon and Lawrence Wood.
Middle row left to right: ?, ? , ?, ? , ?, ? , Rev C S Forsyth, Phyllis Myers, Alice Kitson, ?, Florrie Denison and ?.
Front row left to right: Bertha Witham, ?, ? , Nat Yeadon, John Henry Robinson, Ann Harrison, ? and ?.

St. Andrew's Church 1912

H013 – St. Andrew’s Church, 1912.

St. Andrew’s Church – 1912

The junior class at St. Andrew’s Sunday School.

St. Andrew's Church 1912

H012 – St. Andrew’s Church, 1912.

St. Andrew’s Church – 1912

The senior class at St. Andrew’s Sunday School, a scout troop is on the back row and choirboys on the right.

St. Andrew's Church 1914

X200 – St. Andrew’s Church, 1914.

St. Andrew’s Church – 1914

Sunday School pupils on their Whit Sunday parade, the location is the High Street. Choirboys are holding up their banner, the children are wearing their best clothes which include hats for the girls and flat caps for the boys.
Behind the children are two shops, J Lee & Sons selling furniture and musical instruments and Laycocks which is a drapers. The latter is addressed as Manchester House.

St. Andrew's Church Undated

E504 – St. Andrew’s Church, Undated.

St. Andrew’s Church – Undated

Members of the church dressed as chefs, names supplied but not in any order:

W M Hudson, Dick Flesher, Harry Newton, Dick Stanley, Harold Witham, Leonard Wyatt, W Myers, Sam Mokes, Frank Farrar, Jim Bell, Sydney Earl, Jimmy Brown, Jesse Witham, Malcolm Law, Stephen Dennison, Duncan Yeadon, Albert Mokes, Lawrence Stanley, George Derkin, George Hardwick, Lawrence Webb, George Flesher, William Law, James Yeadon, lawrence Hatfield, George Hudson, Walter Greenwood, Edgar Witham, Willie Yeadon, Vicar Forsyth, Frank Colman, John Henry Robinson, George Bailey, Harry Mokes, Arthur Newton, Walter Flesher, Leslie Witham, Archie Ives, Arthur Swales, Gilbert Frankland, Malcolm Yeadon, Walter Hatfield.

St. Andrew's Church 1913/14

E554 – St. Andrew’s Church, 1913/14.

St. Andrew’s Church – 1913/14

These smart young men in Sunday suits were members of Duncan Yeadon’s bible class.

St. Andrew's Church Undated

AA12 – St. Andrew’s Church, Undated.

St. Andrew’s Church – Undated

Members of the congregation.

St. Andrew's Church 1950

B080 – St. Andrew’s Church, 1950.

St. Andrew’s Church – 1950

Tinted image of St. Andrew’s Church

Donated by Heather Smaelie.

St. Andrew's Church 1957

E511 – St. Andrew’s Church, 1957.

St. Andrew’s Church – 1957

Some of the boys and clergy have been named, back row on the left is Bob Cliffe (he had the newsagents business on Yeadon High Street) The Vicar (left) is the Rev. Murgatroyd on the right is Dr. Donald Coggan, Bishop of Bradford , in 1961 he became the 101st Archbishop of Canterbury. Behind Rev. Murgatroyd on the left is Howard German who donated the image.

Page 1 of 2 More >>

Consolidated by Elaine Ellwood. 04 February 2022.
Last updated: 04 February 2022.

Leave a comment