St. John’s Church, 1843 – Present (1)

St. John's Church Undated

Title St. John’s Church
Date Undated
Location Yeadon
Photo ID HL101
Comment This text was with a sketch of the church: “South -Eastern view of St. John’s Church, Yeadon, in the Parish of Guiseley. The first stone of this Church was laid on the 5th day of April AD 1843 by Benj. Thompson Esq. to whom with Rev. Wm Clark Rector, W R C Stansfield Esq., Rich. Barwick Esq., John Womersley Esq., Will Turley Wsq., John White Esq., Rev. Wm. Lindley, Rev. Anthony Ibbetson, John Marshall Barwick Esq., the principal promoters of this good Work this plate is respectfully inscribed by their Obed. Serv. Walter Ramstone, Architect”
St. John's Church Undated

HL102 – St. John’s Church, Undated.

St. John’s Church – Undated

Enlargement of the text of HL101 above.

St. John's Church 1909

D108 – St. John’s Church, 1909.

St. John’s Church – 1909

29th January 1909 – Seen from New Road Side (A65) is St Johns Church, on the right are Dinsdale Buildings.

St. John's Church 1912

M112 – St. John’s Church, 1912.

St. John’s Church – 1912

21st September 1912 – St Johns is the Parish Church for Yeadon.

St. John's Church Undated

BB025 – St. John’s Church, Undated.

St. John’s Church – Undated

A view of the church and graveyard.

St. John's Church Undated

C708 – St. John’s Church, Undated.

St. John’s Church – Undated

Another view of the church and graveyard.

St. John's Church 1937

W256 – St. John’s Church, 1937.

St. John’s Church – 1937

“A scene from “Christmas Te Deum” a pageant of Christmas given in St. John’s Church, Yeadon.

St. John's Church 1952

F182 – St. John’s Church, 1952.

St. John’s Church – 1952

Choirboys outside the church. Some of whom have been named but not in any order: Brian Meays, Alec Outing, Brian Wood, Calvin Weatherhead, Ken Farnell.

Image donated by Donald & Anne Exley.



St. John's Church 1954

F188 – St. John’s Church, 1954.

St. John’s Church – 1954

A mixed choir of boys, women and men, one boy named but not location – Brian Wood.

Image donated by Donald and Anne Exley.

St. John's Church c1957

FBA289 – St. John’s Church, c1957.

St. John’s Church – c1957

St. John’s Church Choir – names supplied are back row, left to right: Mr Blakey (Choirmaster), John Bateman, Tommy Dennison, Mr Walker, Calvin Weatherhead, Mr Exley, ? Brian Wood, Mr Mason, ? Jeremy Walker. Third row, left to right: Grace Prince, Anita Weatherhead, Marjory Bateman, Dorothy Peden, Judith Walker, Berly Mason. Second row, left to right: Malcolm Cockroft, John Scrivens, Alec Outing, Brian Meays, Norman Frankish, Richard Kirkbright, Anthony Dewhirst. First row, from left to right: David Naylor, ? Geoffrey Waite, ? Paul Mitchell, ? ? Anthony Lupton, Colin Jacques.

Donated by Geoffrey Waite.

St. John's Church Undated

C707 – St. John’s Church, Undated.

St. John’s Church – Undated

A view of the church which shows the tower in situ, this was taken down in 1974 as it was found not to have been properly bonded to the body of the church and was unsafe.

St. John's Church Undated

FBA008 – St. John’s Church, Undated.

St. John’s Church – Undated

St. John’s was the Parish Church for Yeadon.

St. John's Church Undated

T22 – St. John’s Church, Undated.

St. John’s Church – Undated

St. John’s Church between Henshaw Lane and New Road seen with the spire still in place. It was thought to be unsafe and removed in 1974.

St. John's Church 1972

A130 – St. John’s Church, 1972.

St. John’s Church – 1972

View of the Church Tower with clock.
St. John’s was built as a Chapel of Ease for the Parish Church of St. Oswald’s, Guiseley.
The foundation stone was laid in 1843, the church was consecrated and opened for worship on 18th July 1844.
The tower was later demolished as it had become unsafe.

St. John's Church 1974

E411 – St. John’s Church, 1974.

St. John’s Church – 1974

The church tower is encased in scaffolding for demolition, it was deemed to be unsafe and too expensive to repair.

Page 1 of 2 More >>

Consolidated by Linda Plonka. 02 February 2022.
Last updated: 02 February 2022.

Leave a comment