St. Peter’s Church (2)

St.Peter's Church Undated

FBA005 – St. Peter’s Church, Undated.

Title St. Peter’s Church
Date Undated
Location Rawdon
Photo ID FBA005
Comment A view of the interior.
St.Peter's Church Undated

E006 – St. Peter’s Church, Undated.

St. Peter’s Church – Undated

The church decorated for the Harvest festival. The columns, altar rails and pulpit are trimmed with foliage.

St. Peter's Church Vicarage 1958

F206 – St. Peter’s Church Vicarage, 1958.

St. Peter’s Church Vicarage – 1958

Dating back to the 17th century, the vicarage was built by Thomas Layton.

Rev. John Deason (1745 – 1780) extended and repaired the building paying the cost himself. It was at one time used as a school for boys. By the early 1960s it was almost derelict and so was demolished and a new vicarage built. The vicar at the time was Rev. Victor George Marriot.

St. Peter's Church 1959

F166 – St. Peter’s Church, 1959.

St. Peter’s Church – 1959

A picture card. Rene Hoare, mother of Valerie Ryan (nee Hoare) was given this card by Mabel Palliser who had been her teacher at Rawdon National School, which was destroyed by fire in 1951 and replaced by the now St. Peter’s (C of E) Primary School in 1956. She had also taught Stuart Hoare and his sister Valerie occasionally.

St. Peter's Church 1966

H057 – St. Peter’s Church , 1966.

St. Peter’s Church – 1966

Children enjoying the St. Peter’s Church Sunday School party held on Saturday 8th January 1966.

St. Peter's Church 1976

FBA128 – St. Peter’s Church, 1976.

St. Peter’s Church – 1976

A sketch of St. Peter’s Church drawn and donated by Sam Kilburn.

St. Peter's Church Stocks 2015

N224 – St. Peter’s Church , 2015.

St. Peter’s Church – 2015

New village stocks installed in the churchyard made by Jem Hayes.

Photographer Dennis Court.

St. Peter's Church Stocks 2015

L176 – St. Peter’s Church, 2015.

St. Peter’s Church Stocks – 2015

Another view of the stocks which replaced the old and rotten stocks which were removed in the 1880s and restored to the churchyard in 1925.

Photographer David Reed.

St. Peter's Church 2016

Z283 – St. Peter’s Church , 2016.

St. Peter’s Church – 2016

July 2016 – a view of St. Peter’s Church seen from across the churchyard. 

Photographer Val Ryan. 

St. Peter's Church 2018

N229 – St. Peter’s Church, 2018.

St. Peter’s Church – 2018

The churchyard of St. Peter’s Church taken by Edwy Harling. 

St. Peter's Church 2018

N230 – St. Peter’s Church , 2018.

St. Peter’s Church – 2018

A sign posted to the rear entrance of the churchyard advising that the churchyard is locked as sheep are cropping the grass. 

Taken by Edwy Harling.

St. Peter's Church Undated

U25 – St. Peter’s Church, Undated.

St. Peter’s Church – Undated

A brass rubbing of the makers plate on the clock mechanism of St. Peter’s Church.

The plate has the information:

‘W Potts and Sons Ltd, Makers 1922. Leeds England’

The manufacture of Potts clocks began in 1882 with William Potts, after 1862, the company began to specialise in clocks for public places eg, schools, railway stations, churches, town halls etc. There have been 5 generations of the Potts family involved in making clocks, it is thought that over 1,600 of their clocks are still in existence.

St. Peter's Church Stocks Undated

X194 – St. Peter’s Church , Undated.

St. Peter’s Church – Undated

The following two photographs of the stocks which are located in the grounds of St. Peter’s Church.  At some point in the 1860s they were removed but found and reinstated in 1925.

St. Peter's Church Stocks Undated

FB478 – St. Peter’s Church, Undated.

St. Peter’s Church – Undated

The building on the corner of Town Street and Layton Avenue (Back Lane) is one of the two small alms houses that stood here, and the one in view was used during the 1950s and 1960s by Rawdon 17th Airedale Cubs and Scouts as an equipment store, the other one having been demolished to make way for a pair of large semidetached houses.

The old National School is out of sight behind the low wall before the alms house and fronted by a wooden church institute building. This and the old school itself became emergency classrooms during the rebuilding of the National School during the early 1950s.

St. Peter's Church Stocks Undated

F928 – St. Peter’s Church , Undated.

St. Peter’s Church – Undated

The following two photographs of the stocks which are located in the grounds of St. Peter’s Church.  At some point in the 1860s they were removed but found and reinstated in 1925.

St. Peter's Church War Memorial

M084 – St. Peter’s Church War Memorial, Undated.

St. Peter’s Church War Memorial – Undated

A memorial for those who perished in the 1914 -18 War, in St. Peter’s Church. 

<< Page 2

Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 25 January 2021.
Last updated: 26 March 2021.

Leave a comment