|Date||1910 – 1945|
|Comment||Blacksmiths shop situated between the Woolpack Inn and the junction of Henshaw Lane and New Road Side (A65 Otley Road). This was the business of Isaac Swires, when motorised transport came onto the roads Swires turned the site into a petrol station and car repair shop. His two sons moved the business to a larger site at the junction of Apperley Lane and New Road Side, this was after 1945. J.C.T 600 now occupies the site.|
S247 – Swires Garage, 1910 – 1945.
Swires Garage – 1910 – 1945
Isaac Swires originally had a blacksmiths shop which was located between the Woolpack on New Road and Henshaw Lane, the advent of the motor car led him into repairs and petrol supplies.
After 1945 his 2 sons relocated the business to the larger site seen here, which is the corner of New Road with Apperley Lane, now the site of JCT garage, car sales and petrol station (March 2016). Andrew Emsley who donated the photo told us his Mum worked there as a pump attendant when she was a young woman.
Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 15 December 2021.
Last updated: 15 December 2021.