Fountain

The Fountain c1902
Title Fountain
Date c1902
Location Yeadon
Photo ID A405
Comment Close up view of Yeadon Fountain on a tinted postcard. It was situated on Victoria Avenue at the junction with Yeadon High Street. It was erected to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in 1898. The building on the right edge belonged to Yeadon Waterworks.
The Fountain c1902

A253 – Fountain, c1902.

Fountain – c1902

An unusual view of Yeadon Fountain with a covering of snow.

The Fountain 1902

A105 – Fountain, 1902.

Fountain – 1902

The fountain was situated at the junction of Yeadon High Street and Victoria Avenue (Harrogate Road). It was erected to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria and the life of Thomas Brown, late owner of Kirk Lane Mill.

The fountain was made in Glasgow at the Saracen Foundry of Walter McFarland to pattern 18, this pattern was adapted for other clients.

It was reported in the AUDC minutes 1944/45 that the fountain was badly damaged, it then disappeared.

Various theories have surfaced as to it’s fate, including one that it is now on the promenade at Lytham St Annes, this is similar to the Yeadon fountain as it too was made by McFarlands to pattern 18 with adaptations.
Most local historians think it would have been taken to a scrap yard.

The pair of houses on the opposite corner to the fountain were built by Ephron Murgatroyd and Fred Lawson, reputedly using stone quarried out from the building of Moorfield Mill.

The house to the right is called Heatherfield.

The Fountain Undated

N57 – Fountain, Undated.

Fountain – Undated

Two boys leaning on the fountain on Victoria Avenue, the boy on the right was J E Chadwick.

The Fountain 1902

A106 – Fountain, 1902.

Fountain – 1902

This image is of poor quality though almost a duplicate of the Top photo except that it is populated by several men.

The Fountain 1902

A104 – Fountain, 1902.

Fountain – 1902

This image of Victoria Avenue looks towards the present day Leeds Bradford Airport.

The trees planted to mark the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria are still young saplings lining the road.

On the left is the boundary wall for William Murgatroyd’s property, the fountain has recently been used, water has run into the road at it’s foot. A pony and trap are seen in the road with men and children looking at the camera. The building on the right with the chimney belongs to Yeadon Water Company, beyond the wall on the right edge the land was quarried, much later it was a caravan sales area and now is the site of Yeadon Stoops travel lodge.

The Fountain c1902

B195 – Fountain, c1902.

Fountain – c1902

A family are posing by the fountain, this is the junction of the High Street (not in view on the left) and Victoria Avenue. The wall on the left is the perimeter of Moorfield Mill, Yeadon Waterworks is the building with the chimney on the right.

The Fountain Undated

G065 – Fountain, Undated.

Fountain – Undated

A group of men standing by the fountain.

The Fountain Undated

G065 – Fountain, Undated.

Fountain – Undated.

Victoria Avenue is in the foreground, beyond the fountain the road continues as Harrogate Road. The large house to the right is Heather Field, the road to the right is the High Street. Two men sit on the bench which is against the wall of William Murgatroyd’s Moorfield Mill.

The Fountain Undated

A103 – Fountain, Undated.

Fountain – Undated

A close up of the fountain. Wm. Murgatroyd’s buildings wall behind.

The Fountain Undated

B423 – Fountain, Undated.

Fountain – Undated

View of the Fountain which was situated on Victoria Avenue (Harrogate Road). The Fountain and trees seen here were to mark the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897.

The Fountain Undated

D722 – Fountain, Undated.

Fountain – Undated

Yeadon Fountain, it’s disappearance during WW2 gave rise to a mystery as to it’s fate.

The Fountain pre WW2

FBA340 – Fountain, 1930s/40s.

Fountain – 1930s/40s

To the left is the High Street and Bayton Lane goes off to the right. Victoria Avenue (Harrogate Road) is in the middle of the image.
Moorfield Mill is on the left, Yeadon Fountain is still in situ at the side of the mill which gives this view a pre 2nd World War date.

The Fountain 1930s/40s

D103 – Fountain, 1930s/40s.

Fountain – 1930s/40s

This bronze and marble fountain stood at the junction of Victoria Avenue and Yeadon High Street.
It was on a stone plinth with an iron drinking cup chained to the side. It was dedicated to the people of Yeadon in 1898, the festivities included a lunch in the Town Hall, celebration concert and a dance in the evening.
The waterworks company provided water free for the fountain.
The wall behind the fountain is part of the boundary to Murgatroyd’s Mill.

The Fountain Undated

D102 – Fountain, Undated.

Fountain – Undated

On the left is the perimeter wall of Moorfield Mill, business of William Murgatroyd.
In front of the wall on a plinth is Yeadon Fountain.
The fountain and trees along Victoria Avenue were to mark the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897.
Mrs E Brown provided funds for the project in memory of her husband Thomas Brown of Kirk Lane Mills.

To the right property seen through the trees belonged to Yeadon Waterworks Company, the sign post is at the corner with Bayton Lane.

The Fountain Undated

G066 – Fountain, Undated.

Fountain – Undated

This bronze and marble fountain stood at the junction of Victoria Avenue and Yeadon High Street.
It was on a stone plinth with an iron drinking cup chained to the side. It was dedicated to the people of Yeadon in 1898, the festivities included a lunch in the Town Hall, celebration concert and a dance in the evening.
The waterworks company provided water free for the fountain.
The wall behind the fountain is part of the boundary to Murgatroyd’s Mill.

The Fountain Undated

A103A – Fountain, Undated.

Fountain – Undated

It fell into disrepair and was removed before the second World War, a marker stone with plaque stands in the grounds of Murgatroyds fish restaurant, placed there by the Aireborough Civic Society in 1977.

Close up of the plaque on the fountain reads:

“This fountain was given and the trees along this road were planted and given to the Urban District Council for the district of Yeadon by Mrs E Brown of Mount Cross Bramley to form an avenue called Victoria Avenue in memory of her late husband Thomas Brown of Mount Cross Bramley and Kirk Lane Mills Yeadon.
Also to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Her Most Gracious Majesty Queen Victoria 1897″

The Fountain 2000

I093 – Fountain, 2000.

Fountain – 2000

Harrogate Road runs through the centre of the view, the upper section is addressed as Victoria Avenue. To the left is the High Street with Murgatroyd’s restaurant at the corner. Bayton Lane is on the right, advertisements for Stoops Hotel are in view.
Donated by Paul Weston.

The Fountain 2012

D471 – Fountain, 2012.

Fountain – 2012

The white car on the left is travelling towards Rawdon on Harrogate Road. Bayton Lane is to the left and Yeadon High Street on the right.
Also on the right but not in view is Murgatroyd’s fish restaurant.
Photographer Avril Harrison.

Previous Comments:

beetee
I believe this fountain now stands on the Promenade at Lytham St Annes. There is a story of how it came about but I am not sure of the facts.
08 February 2014.

S.W.Kilburn
I thought that was the case but it turns out there were about 5 or 6 of these made and the one at St. Annes is not the one from Yeadon.
15 August 2019.

Kathleen Hillman
Sammy Kilburn There is a fountain at Harrogate in Victoria‘s garden just the same.
03 September 2019.

Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 27 May 2021.
Last updated: 25 September 2021 -Photo IDs: D102 & D103.

Leave a comment