The Tut & Shive Hotel

The Tut & Shive Hotel 2014
Title Tut & Shive Hotel
Date 2014
Location Yeadon
Photo ID N302
Comment Looking across to a view of the Tut & Shive, one of Yeadon’s oldest public houses, it was formerly called the Robin Hood. It is mentioned in Philomen Slater’s “History of the Ancient Parish of Guiseley” published in 1880; when the wedding of a Yeadon couple had taken place at St. Oswald’s Parish Church in Guiseley (prior to St John’s Church being built in 1844) the young groomsmen would race up Kirk Lane on horseback, the first to reach the Robin Hood would be awarded a beribboned silver tankard of ale. In 1822 the landlord was Thomas Townshend, 1838 Hannah Harrison, 1853 John Bateson, 1861 John Tewsler, 1867 Christopher Broskham. The Temperance Hall, ironically built in close proximity to the pub is to the right of the hotel and just out of view. Formerly called the Robin Hood, this pub has had mixed fortunes over the last few years having been closed on several occasions. The white building on the left was the Oddfellows or latterly the Rag & Louse, it is now converted into private houses.
The Tut & Shive Hotel 2014

N303 – The Tut & Shive Hotel, 2014.

The Tut & Shive Hotel – 2014

A side view looking to the bottom of the Steep.

The Tut & Shive Hotel 2014

N304 – The Tut & Shive Hotel, 2014.

The Tut & Shive Hotel – 2014

A view looking from the corner of Haworth Lane.

The Tut & Shive Hotel 2015

U074 – The Tut & Shive Hotel, 2015.

The Tut & Shive Hotel – 2015

Not looking at it’s best here, this is one of the oldest pubs in Yeadon. It has been refurbished and to popular local approval has reverted back to it’s original name of the Robin Hood (May 2016).

To the right of the photograph you can just see the Temperance Hall, so close to the pub!

Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 20 January 2022.
Last updated: 20 January 2022.

Leave a comment