Towngate – 1900 – onwards (1)

TownGate 1900

Title Towngate
Date 1900
Location Guiseley
Photo ID A346
Comment Guiseley stocks have a number of children and men round them. The entrance on the right led to Cambridge Street. The shop and adjoining cottages are now used by Denison’s Funeral Directors 1-3 Towngate. The taller building on the right edge is used by the florists business Mulberry Tree at Orchard House, Towngate.
TownGate 1900

M076 – Towngate, 1900.

Towngate – 1900

A line of men and children stand in front of the old smithy, the man in the doorway wearing a leather apron is possibly the blacksmith.
Joseph Dunwell is the old man with the white beard and walking stick.

TownGate Pre 1913

FB379 – Towngate, pre 1913.

Towngate – Pre 1913

The men are outside the old Smithy, this photograph was taken before the town cross was restored in 1913 . The Smithy and adjoining cottages were demolished for early road improvements.

TownGate c1900

I636 – Towngate, c1900.

Towngate – c1900

Image from the lens of Ernest E Slater, Towngate with the cross and stocks.

On the left is the Cross Inn, a group of people are outside the old smithy, a popular place to linger and catch up with gossip.

TownGate Undated

E900 – Towngate, Undated.

Towngate – Undated

A view of Towngate as it was before road alterations and demolition of buildings, behind the cross and stocks is the old smithy.

Donated by Jennifer Mawson.

TownGate 1906

A092 – Towngate, 1906.

Towngate – 1906

Prior to 1913 the only part of the cross which remained was the stump, the figure of Christ which had been on it was thought to have been damaged during the reign of Edward V1 1537-1553, a time of religious uncertainty.
A gas street lamp was sited where the cross had been, the first gas lamp to be erected in Guiseley. Sir William Matthew Thompson of Parkgate, Guiseley, paid for all the public gas lighting in the town.

In the background is the smithy and blacksmiths house, these were purchased by the district council in 1907 for road improvements.

TownGate 1913

J26 – Towngate, 1913.

Towngate – 1913

View of Towngate from what is now the end of Queensway.
This photo was taken shortly after the erection of the new cross.
On the left is one of a pair of cottages owned by a brewery, the one next to the Red Lion Inn was 45 The Green, it was occupied by the Barrett family. Mrs Barrett ran a drapery business in the front room and displayed goods in the window. On the right is the Red Lion.
The shop at the corner with Well Lane was a grocers also selling sweets run by Irwin Brown, his nick-name was “Turp” Brown.
On the opposite corner the building with a half gable is the Woolpack Inn, the mill chimney behind belonged to Springhead Mill.
The pair of White cottages were the property of St. Oswald’s Church, the left one was home to Mr Knipe, a milkman who kept his horse and milk-float in the shed between his cottage and the Woolpack Inn.
His neighbours on the right were Mr and Miss Harper, the sign above the door states “Harper. Bespoke Tailor”.
An alleyway through to Cambridge Street is behind the woman in the white apron, moving right the next house belonged to Hird’s plumbers.
The last house on the right belonged to Mr and Mrs Newbould, he was also a tailor and worked for the Co-op, their daughter Nellie sang in local choirs and shows.

TownGate 1913

A369 – Towngate, 1913.

Towngate – 1913

The newly restored cross and the stocks at Towngate.

TownGate 1913

I338 – Towngate, 1913.

Towngate – 1913

On the left is the Cross Inn, behind the cross which was restored in 1913 is the site of the former blacksmith’s forge.

TownGate 1913

B315 – Towngate, 1913.

Towngate – 1913

Another view of the newly restored cross, this work was done at the behest of Canon Howson. The original cross had been vandalized many years before.

A number of men are sat around the base, one contemplating the stocks, the properties behind were demolished for road improvements.

TownGate 1913

A456 – Towngate, 1913.

Towngate – 1913

Looking across to the left is the Cross Inn which closed in 1967, a horse and cart is directly behind the cross, the smithy is to the right.

TownGate 1913

BB001 – Towngate, 1913.

Towngate – 1913

This image of Towngate with the restored cross and village stocks was on a postcard addressed to Master John Rawnsley c/o Mr John Ramsden, High Field Farm, Denton. It is dated August 17th 1913, the message reads;
“we rec.(eived) yours. So Herbert is counting up how long you will be before you come home. I’ve been lost without you. There is no feast here but plenty at Yeadon. You must bring John with you. Dada is going to Bradford to the cricket match tomorrow. Bernard has gone to his Grandma R to stay for the week, we are just out for a walk. Love to all”

TownGate 1913

BB001Rev – Towngate, 1913.

Towngate – 1913

The match is Yorkshire v Essex started 17th August 1913 at Bradford. Just adds a little more information.

Cheers Brian.

TownGate Undated

A347 – Towngate, Undated.

Towngate – Undated

In 1907 the Rector of Guiseley, Francis Howson, began a campaign to have the cross restored. The chosen design was based on the cross which features in the Guiseley coat of arms. It was publicly unveiled on the Feast of St. Oswald, 9th August 1913, by Lord Harewood.

TownGate Undated

G033 – Towngate, Undated.

Towngate – Undated

Looking past the cross and stocks on Towngate down Oxford Road. The shop on the corner of Towngate is Ogden’s butchers, the spire in view belongs to the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. The junction with Lands Lane is on the right.

Page 1 of 5 More >>

Consolidated by Elaine Ellwood. 24 February 2022.
Last updated: 25 February 2022.

Leave a comment