Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, 1814 – 1985 (1)

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel Undated

Title Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Date Undated
Location Guiseley
Photo ID U14
Comment Located off Town Street behind the Factory Workers Club. It was built in 1814 and used for worship until the church was built on Oxford Road in 1896. The barn in front of the chapel was converted into a home. The following information is recorded on the reverse of the image: “East of Town Street, Guiseley, built in 1814, enlarged 1834. Used continually until 1896 when the present chapel on Oxford Road was built. Converted to a swimming bath, was a “Picture House” in 1912. Then became a garage for Whitaker’s Violet Coaches, then an upholstery workshop. Now almost hidden by extension to Social Club. N A Barnes 1977″ The barn in front of the chapel was converted to a home.
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel Undated

R384 – Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Undated.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel – Undated

A drawing of the chapel on Oxford Road.
Situated on Oxford Road this chapel was built in 1896 but developed structural defects and was demolished in 1985, a new chapel was built on the same site which was dedicated the following year.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel Undated

F004 – Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Undated.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel – Undated

Foundation stones set into the chapel wall, the left one reads:
“Foundation Stone laid by Mr William Shackleton May 18th 1895”.
The stone on the right has:
“This stone was laid by Miss Annie Shackleton”.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel Undated

R357 – Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Undated.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel – Undated

A view of the chapel.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel 1922

E445 – Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, 1922.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel – 1922

These children are outside the chapel on Oxford Road, now known as Guiseley Methodist Church.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel Undated

DD086 – Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Undated.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel – Undated

A view of the chapel.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel Undated

DD087 – Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Undated.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel – Undated

View to the windows of the old chapel on Oxford Road. 

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel 1966

DD045 – Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, 1966.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel – 1966

1st October 1966 – The congregation entering the chapel for a Service of Dedication, this was the amalgamation of the Providence and Trinity Chapels.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel 1966

G409 – Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, 1966.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel – 1966

This occasion was the rededication of the church after amalgamation with the Primitive Methodists.
From left to right are: Father B Johnston, Rev. A Harris, Mrs Morris, Rev. Walker Lee, Councillor S W Southards, Mrs Walker Lee, Rev J F Wranham-Hardy, Rev. V Dawes, Rev. Bassett, Rev. John R Job, Rev. D F Wilkins.

Photographer Bryan Waite, donated by his family.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel 1984

K068 – Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, 1984.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel – 1984

Located on Oxford Road, this photo was taken the year before the chapel was demolished, a replacement was built on the site which opened in 1986, a hundred years after the date of the first chapel’s construction.

Donated by Elizabeth and Arthur Hoyle.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel 1984

C786 – Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, 1984.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel – 1984

Located on Oxford Road, this was the old church on the left with schoolrooms on the right, the present church occupies the same site.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel 1984

K077 – Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, 1984.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel – 1984

Methodist Chapel and schoolrooms on Oxford Road seen before demolition in 1985, a new church was built on the site in 1986.

Donated by Edith & Arthur Hoyle.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel 1985

P081 – Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, 1985.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel – 1985

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel Oxford Road – 1985.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel 1985

P083- Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, 1985.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel – 1985

View of pulpit, choir stalls and organ – 1985
Taken after the final service to be held in the chapel before it was demolished.
A poignant reminder is the hymn board with the numbers of the hymns which were sung during the last service.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel 1985

F003 – Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, 1985.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel – 1985

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel Sunday schoolrooms -1985
View of the Sunday school on Oxford Road, after demolition a new combined chapel and schoolroom were built on the site.

Page 1 of 2 More >>

Consolidated by Elaine Ellwood. 23 May 2022.
Last updated: 27 May 2022.

Leave a comment