Windmill Lane

Windmill Lane 1887
Title Windmill Lane
Date 1887
Location Yeadon
Photo ID G098
Comment Haymaking, Windmill Lane, Yeadon. An unusual glimpse of Yeadon’s rural heritage, the location was the top of Windmill Lane now the site of old peoples bungalows. Children are sitting on a cart in front of the hay stacks, the adults hold rakes and other implements.

Philomen Slater, in his book “The History of the Ancient Parish of Guiseley” records that there was a windmill with 4 sails which were blown down during a gale in 1823.
The windmill was bought by John Hustler who added height to the building and installed 5 sails, in the 1840s theses too were blown down.
A small steam engine was installed to grind corn, this ceased in 1856, the mill was demolished in 1861 and the building materials were used by a Mr. W C Forrest to build cottages.

Windmill Lane 1960s

L226 – Windmill Lane, 1960s.

Windmill Lane – 1960s

The top of Windmill Lane, a notice reads “Site for Aireborough Flower Homes”. View is looking down Windmill Lane on left and right handside down Windmill Fold, where the Quarry was.

Photographer Bryan Waite, donated by his family.

Windmill Lane 1960s

N342 – Windmill Lane, 1960s.

Windmill Lane – 1960s

View down Windmill Lane from the High Street, possibly the wall of Bolton Grange on the left.

Windmill Lane 1986

FB483 – Windmill Lane, 1986.

Windmill Lane – 1986

The top of Windmill Lane looking from the High Street

Donated by John Dennison.

Windmill Lane 1986

FB484 – Windmill Lane, 1986.

Windmill Lane – 1986

Looking from Windmill Lane in a Southerly direction towards Rawdon.

Donated by John Dennison.

Windmill Lane 2013

JA099 – Windmill Lane, 2013.

Windmill Lane – 2013

Looking across Yeadon High Street to the top of Windmill Lane.

Photographer John D Arundel.

Windmill Lane 2013

E368 – Windmill Lane, 2013.

Windmill Lane – 2013

Looking down Windmill Lane across towards Rawdon.

Photographer John D Arundel.

Windmill Lane 2013

F480 – Windmill Lane, 2013.

Windmill Lane – 2013

Looking down Windmill lane with the junction of Bolton Road on the right.

Photographer John D Arundel.

Windmill Lane 2013

D370 – Windmill Lane, 2013.

Windmill Lane – 2013

The bungalows designed for the elderly at the top of Windmill Lane.

Photographer John D Arundel.

Windmill Lane 2013

F249 – Windmill Lane, 2013.

Windmill Lane – 2013

‘The Flats’, a block of accommodation on Windmill Lane.

Photographer John Arundel.

Windmill Place 2013

JA022 – Windmill Place, 2013.

Windmill Place – 2013

A row of stone terrace cottages just before Windmill Fold off Windmill Lane, located on the left hand side as you approach Yeadon High Street.

Photographer John D Arundel.

Windmill Fold 2013

H230 – Windmill Fold, 2013.

Windmill Fold – 2013

Windmill Fold looking towards Quarry Mount and King Street.

Photographer John D Arundel.

Previous Comments:

Re L226
Keith Parker
I am sure the bungalows were there in 1969.
Where the sign is was an open space which was a quarry and which had some swings for children in them. We called it the Laundry Delph as an adjacent building just off the High Street was an industrial laundry.
13 November 2017.

Re L226
jean dean
The site in question on the right hand side was formerly a quarry, hence the name Quarry Mount, the row of houses behind it. Bungalows were built by Aireborough Flower Fund Homes, on the site around the edge of what would have been the quarry, and they are called Flower Mount.
13 November 2017.

Consolidated by Elaine Ellwood. 14 September 2021.
Last updated: 15 September 2021.

Leave a comment