Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School, 1910 – 1937 (1)

Yeadon & Guiseley Secondary School - Undated

Title Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School
Date Undated
Location Yeadon
Photo ID E001
Comment In 1906 representatives from Yeadon, Guiseley, Rawdon and Menston Councils met to discuss the building of a secondary school to serve the district. A site was found in New Scarborough and work began on the building in 1907, it opened on 14th September 1910. Seventy one pupils were registered, the first headmaster was Mr J E Dalton, followed in 1919 by Mr W Rigby. In 1937 when the townships of Yeadon, Guiseley and Rawdon were amalgamated the school name was changed to Aireborough Grammar School.
Yeadon & Guiseley Secondary School - Drawing 1910

I129 – Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School, 1910.

Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School – 1910

A drawing of the school when newly built.

Yeadon & Guiseley Secondary School - Staff Photo 1913

F318 – Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School, 1913.

Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School – 1913

A staff photo.

Yeadon & Guiseley Secondary School - Staff Photo 1914

F237 – Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School, 1914.

Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School – 1914

Staff photo.

Back row, left to right are: Mr Lee, Mr Trout , Mr Thomas, Mr German, Mr Chester.
2nd row, left to right : Miss Priestman, Mr Cordingley, Miss Jagger, Miss Greig, Miss Legge and Miss Scott.
Front row, left to right : Miss Tunnicliffe, Miss Boulton, Mr Dalton, Mr Sutcliffe.
In front on the left is Miss Mathers, and Miss Foggitt is on the right.

Yeadon & Guiseley School Staff Photo 1915

T284 – Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School, 1915.

Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School – 1915

A staff photo.

Donated by Tony Watkinson.

Yeadon & Guiseley School Hockey Team Undated

T280 – Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School, Undated.

Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School – Undated

Undated: Dorothy Margaret Berwick is 2nd from the left in this photo of a hockey team.

Donated by Dorothy’s son Tony Watkinson who supplied the following information about the family.

The Berwick family lived at “Chevin Rise”, West Chevin Road, Otley, the parents were John & Helena Berwick.

John was originally from Whitehaven in Cumbria, he was Headmaster of Westgate School in Otley for many years. Their son William went to Ilkley Grammar School and served in the 1st WW, his diary and photos are in Otley Museum and featured in their WW1 exhibition in 2014.      Daughter Marion Berwick never married, she became a teacher and also taught at Westgate School. Dorothy followed the family tradition and became a teacher until she married Tony Watkinson’s father.

Donated by Tony Watkinson.

Yeadon & Guiseley School Hockey Team Undated

T282 – Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School, Undated.

Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School – Undated

Dorothy Margaret Berwick is 2nd from the right on the back row.

Donated by Tony Watkinson.

Yeadon & Guiseley School Hockey Team Undated

T281 – Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School, Undated.

Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School – Undated

Dorothy Margaret Berwick is 2nd from the left in this photo of a hockey team.

Yeadon & Guiseley Secondary School - Hockey Team 1914/15

I051 – Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School, 1914/15.

Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School – 1914/15

Hockey Team 1914/15 – Back row, 2nd from right hand side – Marion Berwick (aunt of Tony Watkinson who donated the image)

Image donated by Tony Watkinson.

Yeadon & Guiseley School Hockey Team Undated

T279 – Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School, Undated.

Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School – Undated

Dorothy Margaret Berwick is 2nd from the left in this photo of a hockey team.

Yeadon & Guiseley Secondary School - A group of girls 1918

FF113 – Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School, 1918.

Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School – 1918

A group of girls outside the school, Helen Townsend is in the centre of the front row.

Yeadon & Guiseley Secondary School - A group of boys 1918

FF115 – Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School, 1918.

Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School – 1918

Group of boys who were perhaps the cricket team.

Yeadon & Guiseley Secondary School - WW1 Memorial Board 1919

PU009 – Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School, 1919.

Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School – 1919

A war memorial, a tribute to former pupils who had perished in WW1.

(Some local Memorial plaques WWI & WWII for mills, churches, chapels & school etc have been relocated to Yeadon Town Hall.)

Yeadon & Guiseley Secondary School - Girls Cricket Team 1920

FF116 – Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School, 1920.

Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School – 1920

A girls cricket team, on the right of the back row is Helen Townsend.

Yeadon & Guiseley Secondary School - Girls Hockey Team 1921

FF114 – Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School, 1921.

Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary School – 1921

A school hockey team, Helen Townsend is on the right of the back row.

Previous Comments:

Re PU009
Val Ryan (Hoare)
Where is it now?
22 August 2017.

Tricia
Where is it now?
22 August 2017.

Re F237
Jean Dean
Miss Jagger middle row standing third from left was still here 1950, she taught Biology. I remember her little car we called it ‘Oswald’. I believe it was an old Ford or Morris and it was bad at starting, some of the bigger boys had to give her a push off sometimes, a good job there was not much traffic about in those days. The double decker’s that took us home, the boys had to sit upstairs and the girls down, if the conductor caught any of the boys smoking he used to make them pay adult fare.
August 2018.

Page 1 of 3 More >>

Consolidated by Elaine Ellwood. 10 January 2022.
Last updated: 21 February 2022 – Photo ID: T279, T280, T281, T282 & T284.

Leave a comment