Title | Low Mill |
Date | 1924 |
Location | Guiseley |
Photo ID | G042 |
Comment | A view of Low Mill, the date of construction is unknown. One of the first owners was Nathaniel Claughton, then a man called Driver. In 1880, it was the business of Smith Riley and Co., until around 1905. It laid empty for some years until bought by Mr W Machell. In the background can be seen trains on the Leeds-Ilkley and Bradford – Ilkley lines. Behind Low Mill was a Quaker burial ground which was disturbed when the line from Guiseley to Yeadon was laid, remains were moved to the burial ground on Quaker Lane but a marker stone was left dated 1669. The mill chimney was demolished in 1961. |
Low Mill – Undated
Low Mill Ponds were located in the area below Ghyll Royd which is now the site of Willie Machell’s yard (June 2015).
One of the early mill occupants was Nathaniel Claughton, then a man named Driver, in 1880 Philomen Slater states that it was Smith Riley and Co., who operated there, by 1905 the mill was unused.
Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 03 May 2022.
Last updated: 03 May 2022.