Please join us on Facebook

Aireborough Historical Society

Contact AHS

Aireborough Historical Society

Contact AHS
Home » Guiseley » Landmarks-Guiseley » Greenbottom


Greenbottom 1896

Title Greenbottom
Date 1896
Location Guiseley
Photo ID D007
Comment This photo was taken from the top of Greenbottom Mill chimney and looks over the Green. Greenbottom Mill was built in 1827 and later became Chloride Shires, the mill has been demolished and the site is now Guiseley Retail Park. In the foreground is Otley Road, then the open expanse of the Green. Springhead Mill is at the upper end of the Green, with the Wells and Springfield streets behind and to the left. On the right is the road called the Green which first passes Guiseley Town Hall then Belle Vue Terrace, Green Terrace, Grove Terrace and St. Oswald’s Church of England School until it reaches Towngate and St. Oswald’s Church which is hidden in the trees.
Greenbottom 1965

Z09 – Greenbottom, 1965.

Greenbottom – 1965

A view of the Green before Aireborough Leisure Centre was built, Guiseley Town Hall is just out of view on the right.

Donated by the family of the photographer Bryan Waite.

Greenbottom 1965

G197 – Greenbottom, 1965.

Greenbottom – 1965

A Monday morning view of the Green shortly before work began to build Aireborough Leisure Centre.

Donated by the family of the photographer Bryan Waite.

Greenbottom 1989

FB410 – Greenbottom, 1989.

Greenbottom – 1989

On the left is Shire’s bathroom works, then Park Road.
To the right construction has begun for Morrison’s Supermarket, the junction is now a gyratory system.

Image donated by Brian Triffitt.

Greenbottom 2004

G237 – Greenbottom, 2004.

Greenbottom – 2004

Row of business premises, from the left are Zen Rendezvous restaurant, Guiseley Dental Care, Mo’s restaurant and Manning Stainton estate agents.

Donated by Anne North.

Greenbottom 2013

FBA264 – Greenbottom, 2013.

Greenbottom – 2013

A view of Greenbottom from Otley Road (A65), Aireborough Leisure Centre is on the left, Guiseley Theatre (the former Town Hall) is on the right.

Photographer Edwy Harling.

Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 22 February 2022.
Last updated: 22 February 2022.

Leave a comment