|A display board advertising the library’s 60th year celebration. The first library service was located in Guiseley Town Hall, Aireborough Librarian Miss Margaret Scoffield wanted each of the 3 townships (Yeadon, Guiseley and Rawdon) to have a dedicated library, Guiseley was the first of these, it was also the first public building to be erected in Aireborough post WW2, opening in 1956. When Miss Scoffield retired in 1965 Brian Shackleton became head of Aireborough Library Service. Guiseley library was so well used an extension was built in 1972, in 1974 along with all council services it became one of the Leeds libraries, another milestone event occurred in 1994 when it was chosen to be the first library to go “live” on the computer system. The future of the building is uncertain as there are plans to move the service to the Leisure Centre after it has been refurbished. Photographer Joanne Coultas.
Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 23 February 2022.
Last updated: 23 February 2022.