Please join us on Facebook

Aireborough Historical Society

Contact AHS

Aireborough Historical Society

Contact AHS
Home » Guiseley » Guiseley People » Peate, Jonathan & Ruth – c1880s

Peate, Jonathan & Ruth – c1880s

Jonathan Peate c1880s

Title Jonathan Peate
Date c1880s
Location Guiseley
Photo ID A151
Comment Jonathan Peate was a local mill owner and public benefactor. He was born in 1837, at some point he was brought to Yeadon by his parents who were quite poor. At 8 years old he had a job selling bread door to door, later he worked on the construction of Bramhope Tunnel then found his way into the textile trade. He was self educated, using the facilities of the Mechanics Institute and became a mill manager. In 1868, in partnership with his brothers Joseph Long and Caleb, Nunroyd Mill was built. An extension over the mill dam placed the mill partly in Guiseley and partly in Yeadon, Nunroyd Beck being the boundary between the two townships. Business flourished, Jonathan built Nunroyd House for himself in Nunroyd Park (became a nightclub, now boarded up), Aireborough Civic Society have recently placed a plaque there in his memory. His brothers built adjoining houses named Nunroyd which faced onto Otley Road and the mill but they are now demolished. The family built many houses in the New Scarborough area, including Park View. Also Ghyll Royd, a street to the right of the mill to house senior mill workers. He became a JP in 1890. Jonathan was a staunch supporter of the chapels and generous to St. Oswald’s Church, Guiseley. He gave the land for Kirk Lane Park in Yeadon and Nethermoor with it’s cricket and football pitches and a bowling green. In 1919 peace celebrations were held in Guiseley, Jonathan had electric lights put onto a factory roof to spell out the word Liberty and handed over the deeds for Nethermoor Park to the Chairman of Guiseley UDC. He died on the 12th of December 1924 aged 87, his wife Ruth had died the year before. His funeral service was held at St. Oswald’s Church but he is buried in Yeadon Cemetery. West Riding Fabrics eventually took over Nunroyd Mill, it was demolished in the 1980s and West Side Retail Park is on the site. Additional information: Jonathan was descended from a family of clothiers, his great grandfather, grandfather and father, all named Caleb and clothiers in Yeadon. He was born in 1837 and baptised at St. Oswald’s Church, Guiseley on December 10th 1837, a descendant of the family thinks it highly unlikely that Jonathan would have sold bread door to door or worked on the Bramhope Tunnel (Round & About Aireborough Volume 1V by Martin Rigg) Jonathan was one of 9 children having 4 brothers and 4 sisters, the eldest boy William moved to Elgin c1842 to work as a woollen spinner, He returned to live in Burley-in-Wharfedale in around 1860, possibly to help his brothers set up Nunroyd Mill but died in April 1864 before the mill was established. The 2nd eldest son Thomas was not involved in the venture, on the 1881 Census he is recorded as being a woollen mill manager but it is not known which mill it was. Caleb lost his first wife and child in 1857 and with brother Joseph Long they seemed to have a nominal role in the business of brother Jonathan (information from descendants in Australia).
Ruth Peate c1880s

E089 – Ruth Peate, c1880s.

Ruth Peate – c1880s

Johnathan & Ruth Peate c1920s

M343 – Jonathan & Ruth Peate, c1920s.

Jonathan & Ruth Peate – c1920s

Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 28 July 2022.
Last updated: 28 July 2022.

Leave a comment