|Title||Dr. Dawson & Family|
|Comment||A family group with Dr. Dawson seated in the middle. Doctor Dawson was a medical practitioner. On his left a boy in a sailor suit rides what seems to be a cross between a tricycle and a rocking horse. A young girl stands in front of Dr. Dawson, to his right is presumably Mrs Dawson with a young child on her knee.|
The photograph shows Dr. Cautley Dawson M.D., L.R.C.P. (born in Ormskirk, studied in Durham and London) and his wife Harriett Beardshaw. They married in January 1879 when both were aged twenty-seven and had at least three children; Frederick, Mary and Arthur. Dr. Cautley was the son of a Wesleyan Minister, his wife the daughter of a surgeon. Whilst in Rawdon they lived in Micklefield Terrace and at that time ‘phoning 2320 would find the Doctor! By 1888 Harriet had died and was buried in St. Peter’s Churchyard, Rawdon. The doctor worked at Leeds General Infirmary and also in Nottingham where he re-married in 1897. He suffered poor health and eventually moved to Beckenham in order to retire from medicine and run a tobacconist business. He had gone for a walk according to his wife, but unfortunately was found dead in the basement of the shop. Evidence given at the inquest mentioned opium poisoning and chloral hydrate and the outcome was that Dr. Cautley had “committed suicide whilst temporarily insane.” He was just forty-two.
Additional research by Helen M.
B411 – Doctor Dawson & Family, c1890s.
Doctor Dawson & Family – c1880s
Dr. Dawson driving a horse and small carriage with his son beside him.
Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 01 June 2022.
Last updated: 20 November 2022 – Photo ID: B410 Additional research text.