|Comment||The farmhouse was situated between Plane Tree (Bayton Lane) and Rawdon, Billing Wood.|
Bottoms Farm was part of the Layton Estate until 1740, then until 1928, it was part of the Emmott Estate.
An early occupant was Samuel Cowper, a Quaker, then William Preston who used a horse-powered scribbling mill in the farmyard.
His nephew John Croft was the next householder, around 1830, William Croft was in residence followed by his son John who was a woolcomber.
William Croft was the grandfather of Isaac Croft who made his living as a carrier, using horse drawn vehicles then motorised transport.
Robert Lawson was the tenant in 1851, a relative of Edward Farrar and Mary Ann Farrar. She married John Lawson who lived at neighbouring Wood Bottom Farm.
In the 1880s, General Green-Emmott who owned the farm had a Lincolnshire family called Bemrose to work the land for the Estate.
Later, 1890, Samuel Langley was the farmer followed by Thompson Dixon of Miry Lane, Yeadon, in 1895, his widow continued to live on there after his death.
Finally, Thomas Penny of Low Green resided there.
In 1928, the farm was demolished and the land taken by Horsforth Waterworks.
M183 – Bottoms Farm, Undated.
Bottoms Farm – Undated
Seen outside the farmhouse with cattle are, from left to right, Francis Dixon, John Denison, Joseph Dixon, ?
Consolidated by Elaine Ellwood. 23 April 2021.
Last updated: 24 October 2022 – All images updated.