|Title||St. Peter’s Parsonage School|
|Comment||An advertisement for a school at the Parsonage of St. Peter’s Church on Rawdon Town Street, there is a line drawing of the church and parsonage. Details given are… “Parsonage House, Rawden nr Leeds. The Rev. A Ibbotson Incumbent Music, Drawing on the usual terms. No extra charges made except for Stationaries and Washing. Received into his house a limited number of young Gentlemen to educate in the Latin and Greek Classics, in Writing and Accounts and every other branch of learning comprised in an English Education. Terms For Boys Under 10 years of age Guineas Per Annum For Boys Above 10 years of age Do Do NB Three Months Notice will be expected previous to the removal of a pupil or three months board will be charged.”|
The school existed between 1841 and 1851 (unfortunately no census returns prior to these), with Revd. Anthony Ibbotson as its head and on his death in 1858 it was recorded that he was “Incumbent of Rawden for 34 years.” He replaced Revd. Stones in 1823, so perhaps the Parsonage School dated from the mid 1820’s? In 1841 twelve pupils were named in the census (Robinson’s, Taylor’s, Hill, Mann, Hudson’s, Teale, March and Wormald.) William Want was assistant schoolmaster.
In 1851 three pupils were named (which means present when the census was taken) and teacher Richard Taylor had replaced William Want.
And a little about Anthony Ibbotson – he was baptised in Giggleswick on 16 June1799, the son of Robert and Isabella Ibbotson – and married Jane Rawling from Leeds on 19th October 1824. He was buried on 9th April 1858 at St. Peter’s, Rawdon.
Additional research by Helen M.
26 September 2022.
This a so beautiful must try and find this on a census so we can maybe date it.
08 March 2014.
Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 16 February 2021.
Last updated: 30 September 2022 – Image & Text updated.