Please join us on Facebook

Aireborough Historical Society

Contact AHS

Aireborough Historical Society

Contact AHS
Home » Yeadon » Businesses Yeadon » Altham’s Shop – 1913

Altham’s Shop – 1913

Althams Shop 1913
Title Altham’s Shop
Date 1913
Location Yeadon
Photo ID A138
Comment This shop was situated at the junction of Marshall Street and the High Street, owner Abraham Altham. At the left edge an elderly lady is peering at the photographer, no doubt curious about the disturbance. Altham’s is listed as being a grocers and there is a notice in the window advertising jams and preserves, but the store appears to be dominated by a huge variety of goods. Cabin trunks are stacked to the left of the doorway, above the door are baskets, paintbrushes and wash leathers, rolls of linoleum are propped outside and inside the doorway. Mr Altham poses outside his business. The shop window is full of crockery and ornaments. Around 1920 it was Kell’s drapers, then Wilson’s circa 1960. It was demolished with the adjoining Lecture Hall in 1973 and a new row of shops built on the site..

Previous Comments:

After Wilsons it became Ben Eastwoods carpets, and the property still stands. Althams moved lower down the High Street.
18 July 2013.

Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 08 November 2021.
Last updated: 11 January 2023 – Image updated.

Leave a comment