Please join us on Facebook

Aireborough Historical Society

Contact AHS

Aireborough Historical Society

Contact AHS
Home » Yeadon » Landmarks Yeadon » Cliffe House

Cliffe House

Cliffe House Undated
Title Cliffe House
Date Undated
Location Yeadon
Photo ID A028
Comment Situated on South View Road, Cliffe House was built for Edward Denison, owner of Westfield Mill. Mrs Denison was still living there in 1923. It was later used as a doctor’s surgery by Doctors Sharples, Muschamp and Outhwaite, Dr Outhwaite was also a local Councillor. In 1981 Wm Morrisons acquired the property to use as a beer, wine and spirit department, this view shows Cliffe House undergoing renovation presumably just before Morrisons utilized it. The main supermarket had been built on the adjoining Starkey’s Field, when this building was revamped they moved out of Cliffe House. It is now a children’s nursery.
Cliffe House Undated

B026 – Cliffe House, Undated.

Cliffe House – Undated

Detail of a carving above a window at Cliffe House, amongst the foliage the date 1865 appears.
The building is now used as a day nursery.

Cliffe House 1977

C133 – Cliffe House, 1977.

Cliffe House – 1977

Seen here boarded up prior to Wm. Morrison Supermarkets occupying the property as a wines and spirits outlet. The house was once the home of Mrs Edward Denison, later it was the home and surgery for Dr. Outhwaite with Dr.’s Sharples and Mason. Morrisons moved their off-licence department into the adjacent store and the property is now a day nursery for babies and toddlers (September 2012).

Cliffe House 1999

Y03 – Cliffe House, 1999.

Cliffe House – 1999

Cliffe House, once home to some of the Denison family, then a doctor’s surgery, later an off-licence for Morrisons supermarket.
In this view it is, and still is (April 2013), a day nursery.
Yeadon Town Hall is on the left, in the foreground is part of the Health Centre car park.

Cliffe House 1999

Y04 – Cliffe House, 1999.

Cliffe House – 1999

The sign reads “Cliffe House Day Nursery”, in the foreground is the car park for Yeadon Health Centre, this has now altered since the Health Centre was rebuilt (April 2013).

Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 28 July 2021.
Last updated: 04 December 2022 – All images updated.

Leave a comment