Please join us on Facebook

Aireborough Historical Society

Contact AHS

Aireborough Historical Society

Contact AHS
Home » Yeadon » Landmarks Yeadon » Town Hall (1)

Town Hall (1)

Town Hall Undated
Title Town Hall
Date Undated
Location Yeadon
Photo ID B414
Comment When the Town Hall opened in 1880, there were other properties in front of it. The Old School, Poll Marsden’s lodging house and a shop owned by Holgate. These were demolished in 1925 to provide the paved area in front of the Town Hall “Town Hall Square”.
Town Hall 1890

SL077 – Town Hall Reading Room, 1890.

Town Hall Reading Room – 1890

This beautiful image shows the Interior view of the Reading Room where three men are perusing the newspapers.

Original image on a glass slide taken by E E Slater, digitally transferred by John Hobson.

Town Hall c1900

D927 – Town Hall, c1900.

Town Hall – c1900

Children outside the Town Hall, the area in front of the Town Hall was separated from the High Street by buildings which were not demolished until 1925 when Town Hall Square was laid out.

Photo taken by Ernest E Slater.

Town Hall c1900

E218 – Town Hall, c1900.

Town Hall – c1900

A crowd has gathered on what would become Town Hall Square, a St. John Ambulance is the focus of attention.
On the High Street a branch of the Meadow Dairies has a sun blind pulled down, on the right side is the Leeds Industrial Co-operative Society store, now Yeadon Library.

The image was taken on a glass slide by E E Slater.

Town Hall 1905

D094 – Town Hall, 1905.

Town Hall – 1905

Yeadon Town Hall, a horse and trap are on Town Hall Square.

Town Hall 1920s

D093 – Town Hall, Undated.

Town Hall – Undated

Yeadon Town Hall opened in 1880 and is still used by the community.

Town Hall 1920s

L32 – Town Hall, 1920s.

Town Hall – 1920s

The shop on the left was once the business of Mr Holgate, a game dealer. In this view it appears to be a sweet/grocers shop.
Moving right, the gable end belongs to a property on Starkey’s Field, next is Cliffe House.
In front of the Town Hall are posters advertising a film show, the film was Peacock Alley starring Mae Murray. Released as a silent film in 1921 it was remade in 1930 as a “talkie” again with Mae Murray.
On the right is South View Road, the Primitive Methodist Chapel is here but out of this view.

Town Hall 1920s

H153 – Town Hall, 1920s.

Town Hall – 1920s

A picture postcard of the Town Hall: This has been a gathering place for many celebrations and festive occasions, it is also the venue for a twice weekly market.

Donated by Keith Robinson.

Town Hall 1920s

H154 – Town Hall, 1920s.

Town Hall – 1920s

On the reverse is a message addressed to a Mrs Hawkes near Wetherby:
“Dear Mother, just a line to wish you a Happy New Year. Dad has gone to see his father and Alice has gone with him they went last Wednesday morning it has been very quiet here. Wishing you all a Happy New Year ?”

The stamp was issued during the reign of King George V. 1910 – 1936. The Town Hall Square was created in 1925 when old properties in front of the Town Hall were demolished, so the postcard was possibly sent between 1925 and 1936.

Town Hall 1920s

E422 – Town Hall, 1920s.

Town Hall – 1920s

The Town Hall is on the left. Next is the Primitive Methodist Chapel, there are crowds of people around including many children dressed in their best outfits. To the right is what appears to be a Military Band.

This image was taken on a glass slide by E E Slater.

Town Hall 1970

FBA129 – Town Hall, 1970.

Town Hall – 1970

A sketch of the Town Hall drawn and donated by Sam Kilburn.

Town Hall 1977

H463 – Town Hall, 1977.

Town Hall – 1977

A line drawing and information about the Town Hall produced by Aireborough Civic Society.

Town Hall 1977

H463A – Town Hall, 1977.

Town Hall – 1977

Town Hall 1977

D647 – Town Hall, 1977.

Town Hall – 1977

The Town Hall decorated to mark the Silver Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II.

Donated by David Cardus.

Town Hall 1979

JH070 – Town Hall, 1979.

Town Hall – 1979

A line drawing of the Town Hall which also originally served as the Mechanics Institute.

Image digitally transferred from a 35 mm slide by John Hobson.

Previous Comments:

An ancestor of mine, Richard Hogg (1834- 1912) was the main builder on the project. Despite being unable to read or write he was a master builder who worked on many projects in the area. He went out of business after not being paid for some large villa houses he built at Ilkley. His son was one of the main builders on High Royds Hospital at Menston. Richard had a yard at Rawdon and lived on Prospect Street. He died virtually penniless. The Town Hall is an incredible building for a small mill town in West Yorkshire. People really had ambition in those days!
17 February 2013.

Page 1 of 3 More >>

Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 24 July 2021.
Last updated: 09 January 2023 – All images updated.

Leave a comment