Green Lane Mill 1868 – 2014

Green Lane Mill 1905
Title Green Lane Mill
Date 1905
Location Yeadon/Rawdon
Photo ID A180
Comment This mill was built in 1868 on land which was purchased from Rawdon Baptist Church. A clothier who lived in Little London, Thomas Pratt, was the owner. Cloth was produced here until 1906 when a terrible fire gutted most of the building. Scribbling and spinning machinery was lost but the weaving shed was not too badly damaged, the cost of the damage was £20,000. It left 300 workers without a job. The mill was rebuilt and became a dyehouse for Naylor, Jennings & Co., then part of the Vyella Group. It has recently closed.
Green Lane Mill Undated

FBA337 – Green lane Mill, Undated.

Green Lane Mill – Undated

Looking from the South View area across fields to Naylor Jennings Green Lane Mill.
Just visible  in the centre of the view is Benton Congregational Chapel (now Trinity Church), also Benton Terrace which was demolished and the present Fire Station built on the site (September 2014).

Donated by Isabel Douglas.

Green Lane Mill Fire 1906

A181 – Green lane Mill, 1906.

Green Lane Mill – 1906

Burnt out shell of Green Lane Mill following a fire. A large number of spectators are surveying the damage, many had possibly worked there.

Green Lane Mill 1924/25

M220 – Green Lane Mill, 1924/25.

Green Lane Mill – 1924/25

A large group of children who were taken on an outing, their parents were employed at the dyeworks.
Many of the children are holding mugs.

Green Lane Mill 1975

A185 – Green lane Mill, 1975.

Green Lane Mill – 1975

The mill was rebuilt by Naylor, Jennings & Co after a fire in 1906 destroyed the original building.

This view is from what are locally called the “Engine Fields”, this is the area where the Yeadon Railway line ran (between Henshaw Lane and Green Lane), in 1964 the line was closed.

Now various industrial enterprises operate from here plus a Leeds City Council depot for the storage of road salt and other materials. The mill has recently closed.

Green Lane Mill 2014

K382 – Green lane Mill, 2014.

Green Lane Mill – 2014

The mill chimney is the last to be standing in Rawdon and Yeadon only Moons Mill in Guiseley still has a chimney.

Green Lane Mill 2014

K383 – Green Lane Mill, 2014.

Green Lane Mill – 2014

As above.

K380 – Green lane Mill, 2014.

Green Lane Mill – 2014

Naylor Jenning’s Green Lane Mill and dyeworks and cottages on Green Lane. The mill is closed and the site is to be redeveloped for housing.

Photographer John Arundel.

Green lane Mill 2014

K391 – Green Lane Mill, 2014

Green Lane Mill – 2014

As above.

Green Lane Mill 2016

Z192 – Green Lane Mill, 2016.

Green Lane Mill – 2016

Scaffolding surrounds the remaining part of the mill.

Photographer John Arundel.

Green Lane Mill 2016

Z193 – Green Lane Mill, 2016.

Green Lane Mill – 2016

As above.

To view further photographs of Naylor Jennings and Green Lane Mill, please Click Here.

Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 09 September 2021.
Last updated: 11 November 2021 – Photo ID: A180, A185, FBA337 & M220.

Leave a comment