Please join us on Facebook

Aireborough Historical Society

Contact AHS

Aireborough Historical Society

Contact AHS
Home » Guiseley » Religious Guiseley » Providence Methodist Chapel, 1843 – 1966 (2)

Providence Methodist Chapel, 1843 – 1966 (2)

Providence Methodist Chapel 1926

Title Providence Methodist Chapel
Date 1926
Location Guiseley
Photo ID R080
Comment “Primitive Methodist Church Guiseley 1827 – 1927 Foundation Stone New Schools Saturday 3rd July 1926 2.30pm The Foundation Stone will be laid by Fred Popplewell Esq. Guiseley Assisted by Rev. C H Rendell Resident Minister Special Stones will also by laid by John R Watson Esq. Bradford Great Grandson of Henry Watson, one of the Founders of our Church C Barker Esq. Pudsey. Old Scholar. Teacher. Lay Preacher Also in Memory of Francis B Fry School Superintendent over 30 years and Graham Leitch, School Superintendent, killed in France 1917 Followed by the laying of further Memorial and individual Stones by very many friends. After the Ceremony A TEA in the schoolroom 1/3d Adults 9d Children We welcome your support and presence.” When the schoolroom was demolished in 1984 the owners of inscribed bricks were able to reclaim them, some people did.
Providence Methodist Chapel 1926

R081 – Providence Methodist Chapel, 1926.

Providence Methodist Chapel – 1926

This is the reverse of image R080
“Order of Ceremony
Minister in Charge Rev. J H Middleton, Otley
Opening Hymn no 1 Prayer Hymn no 11
Scripture Reading Rev C H Rendell
Welcome on Behalf of Trustees

Rev C H Rendell will deposit Current Coins and Literature
Laying of Foundation Stone by Fred Popplewell Esq Assisted by Rev C H Rendell
” I declare this stone well and truly laid to the Glory of God”
Presentation of Silver Trowel and Mallet

Stone to be laid by Mr John Watson, Bradford
Stone to be laid by Mr C Barker, Pudsey
Stone in Memory of Francis B Fry (late Superintendent)
Stone in Memory of Graham Leith (late Superintendent)
Further Memorial Stones and laying of individual stones by many friends

Hymn no 111 Prayer Benediction

Providence Methodist Chapel 1927

F074 – Providence Methodist Chapel, 1927.

Providence Methodist Chapel – 1927

This image was taken from the Centenary booklet to celebrate 100 Years of Methodism in Guiseley.
A group of people are standing in front of the Sunday school which opened in 1868.

Providence Methodist Chapel 1927

F075 – Providence Methodist Chapel, 1927.

Providence Methodist Chapel – 1927

New Sunday school building which was constructed in 1926/7, by Mitchell Yeadon, it cost £4,300.

Providence Methodist Chapel 1930s

H387 – Providence Methodist Chapel, 1930s.

Providence Methodist Chapel – 1930s

This was a Sunday School concert at the Providence or Primitive Methodist Chapel, on Otley Road.

On the back row from left to right are:
Renee Bartlem, Eva Armitage, Edna Young, Connie Brown, Winnie Todd and Renee Hollings.

3rd row from left to right:
Gladys Whittaker, Vera Waite, Annie Fry, Freda Williams, Queen Betty Bartlem, Edith Simpson and Marjorie Harling.

2nd row from left to right:
Peggy Waddington, Eva May Bunting, Olive Metcalf, Bessie Cook, Ivy Germaine, Hilda Metcalf, Irene Fickling, Jean Walkington, ? Simpson, Doreen Gray, Eva Bolton, Connie Dean and Jessie Briggs.

Front rom left to right:
Irene Turton, ?, Joan Clapham, Betty Harrison, Lily Metcalf, Nancy Barker, Audrey Young and Winnie Bolton.

Providence Methodist Chapel 1936

N83 – Providence Methodist Chapel, 1936.

Providence Methodist Chapel – 1936

“Children of Guiseley Provident (Providence) Methodist Sunday School in the fairy play “Tangles in Lollipop Land” given on December 5 and 8.

Providence Methodist Chapel 1938/39

AA145 – Providence Methodist Chapel, 1938/39.

Providence Methodist Chapel – 1938/39

The cast of a show given by the members of the Primitive Methodist Sunday School (Providence Chapel).

Providence Methodist Chapel Undated

D156 – Providence Methodist Chapel, Undated.

Providence Methodist Chapel – Undated

Architects drawing for a proposed Sunday School.
The style would be in keeping with the old Methodist Church.

Providence Methodist Chapel 1957

FF53 – Providence Methodist Chapel, 1957.

Providence Methodist Chapel – 1957

A “Highland Festival” at the chapel.
The back of the photo has been signed by S H Waddington,  Peggy Waddington,  Dorothy Kirkbright,   Pauline Kell.

Providence Methodist Chapel 1970

A427 – Providence Methodist Chapel, 1970.

Providence Methodist Chapel – 1970

Demolition of the Primitive Methodist Church on Otley Road (A65) had begun.
A board informs that the work is being carried out by Jennings of Pudsey.
The schoolroom was pulled down at a later date.

Providence Methodist Chapel 1970

A083 – Providence Methodist Chapel, 1970.

Providence Methodist Chapel – 1970

This chapel was situated on Otley Road, Morrison’s store now occupies part of the site.
Primitive Methodism was introduced in Guiseley around 1827, services were held at 8 Bingley Lands by Harry Watson and Benjamin Hollings, at a later date behind a shop on Towngate owned by Mr Watson.
In 1843 a chapel was built on Otley Road, the gateposts of this old building can be seen set into the wall which was the boundary of the old cemetery, adjacent to Morrison’s.
The Providence Chapel was built next to the older chapel in 1877, schoolrooms were added in 1868 and 1926.
The congregation joined with Trinity Chapel (former Wesleyan’s) in 1966.
During the winter of 1984/85 Providence Chapel was demolished to provide part of the site for the supermarket which opened in 1989.
To the right of the store is a garden of rest on the site of the cemetery, this is where the boundary wall previously mentioned is.

Providence Methodist Chapel 1970

A356 – Providence Methodist Chapel, 1970.

Providence Methodist Chapel – 1970

As above

Providence Methodist Chapel 1970

A366 – Providence Methodist Chapel, 1970.

Providence Methodist Chapel – 1970

The entrance to the church had an archway carved in stone above it, the words Primitive Methodist are set against a background of ornamental vines.
Under the arch is a semi-circular stained glass window.

Providence Methodist Chapel c1970

X39 – Providence Methodist Chapel, c1970.

Providence Methodist Chapel – c1970

The Providence or Primitive Methodist Chapel stood on Otley Road until demolition in 1970.
The houses on the right are called Hallamfield and are still standing. (March 2013)

Providence Methodist Chapel 1985

F012 – Providence Methodist Chapel, 1985.

Providence Methodist Chapel – 1985

Looking from Otley Road across to the Primitive Methodist Chapel, soon to be demolished.

<< Page 1 Page 3 >>

Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 27 May 2022.
Last updated: 30 May 2022.

Leave a comment