Please join us on Facebook

Aireborough Historical Society

Contact AHS

Aireborough Historical Society

Contact AHS
Home » Memories » Pre-1939 » Railway Line to Yeadon – 1881

Railway Line to Yeadon – 1881

Railway Line To Yeadon 1881

M891 – Railway Notice, 1894.

Title Railway Line to Yeadon
Date 1818 – 1885
Location Yeadon
Written By Not recorded
Comment 2nd September 1881. “There is a probability of a railway being constructed at Yeadon and the news to many will sound too good to be true. An engineer has recently being actively engaged surveying the route and mill owners and others have been waited upon for information as to the amount of tonnage that would be likely to pass over it in the shape of manufactured goods. We understand that a line is to be connected with the North Eastern system and will branch off from Headingley, pass close to the Bell Chapel at Horsforth, where a station is proposed to be built. It will then proceed in the direction of Rawdon, where a station will be erected and continue past the old mill at Yeadon and run on the low side of Messrs. Peates Mill till, it joins the Otley branch.”

27th March 1885
” A meeting of Yeadon inhabitants unanimously supported a resolution by the promoters of the Guiseley, Yeadon and Rawdon Railway Bill which would provide a railway link in the townships with Leeds. The resolution said the proposed railway would be of immense public utility and would afford valuable accommodation and relief to the district and was well designed for the purpose in promoting its development and trade. It was said that if the railway was made coal would probably be about 1/-d per ton cheaper”

10th September 1886
Complaints were made of the tardiness with which the money for the proposed new railway line to Leeds was being subscribed. It was stated that some of the persons who would benefit most from such a project were holding aloof.
Previous schemes for the securing of the railway line to Yeadon it was reported had never reached so advanced stage and it would be a pity if the project were allowed to lapse for want of money.

26th February 1894
The new railway was opened for goods, coal, lime and coke when five trucks of mill coal (belonging to the local coal company) were conveyed over the line to Henshaw Station.
The train was accompanied by the following officials:- Mr. Loveday, Chief Inspector, Derby. Mr. Brown, Traffic Inspector, Leeds. Mr. Heywood, Good Inspector, Leeds. Mr. Coulthurst, Signal Inspector, Leeds and Mr. Colishaw, Ways & Works Inspector.
Later in the day Mr. Sowerby, District Goods Manager & Mr. Hull, Stationmaster at Guiseley walked over the line.
Until a weighbridge is installed all coal will continue to be delivered from Guiseley station.
Goods which the Midland Company have to deliver will also be carted from Guiseley.
Anything the consignee has to deliver himself will be brought to Henshaw.
The date of the opening of this line for passenger traffic has not been fixed.
The station at Henshaw is in charge of Mr. Hull Station Master at Guiseley.

Consolidated by Jack Brayshaw. 05 August 2022.
Last updated: 05 August 2022.

Leave a comment